it isn't paranoia when they ARE out to get you :o)

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

it isn't paranoia when they ARE out to get you :o)

Postby DaFoxx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:07 pm

http://www.eweek.com/mobile/huawei-netw ... nk-merger/

NEWS ANALYSIS: An agreement between U.S. law enforcement and wireless firms to drop Huawei from a list of acceptable telecom vendors may look like paranoia, until you look a little deeper.

To say that government officials in Washington, D.C., are paranoid about Chinese spies would be incorrect. After all, as the saying goes, it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you. This is very much the situation in Washington, and it explains a lot about why a number of government agencies and members of Congress are insisting that Softbank and Sprint not use equipment from Chinese manufacturer Huawei when their merger goes through.

The pending agreement, which was reported in The New York Times March 28, makes it clear that approval of the merger hinges on meeting national security concerns. For its part, Softbank has reported that it has already excluded Huawei from wireless networks it builds in Japan. Sprint does not use Huawei in its own networks, but does in its Clearwire subsidiary. Sprint has agreed to replace the existing Huawei telecom equipment at Clearwire.

and the last paragraph is a touch un-nerving
But there's an obvious question that follows from here. Should Chinese telecom equipment be banned from the U.S. entirely? Or there's the next question, which is whether equipment made in China, from iPhones to televisions, can be certified to be free of Chinese spyware. I don't know the answer to that last one.

Is Apple completely confident that there's not some Chinese spyware code quietly lying in wait inside every iPhone? I hope so, but I don't think I'm paranoid to wonder about it.
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: it isn't paranoia when they ARE out to get you :o)

Postby SirDice » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Yeah, it's all fine and dandy until they pull the same stunts on you. It's not like the US never tried to do the same thing to the Chinese.

As a European, who's going to protect me from the NSA backdoors in US equipment? Or for that matter pretty much unlimited access to my bank accounts, internet use and what-not through all sorts of shady "trade agreements". We're screwed either way. Can't go US, can't go Chinese.
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby rapier57 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:08 pm

One of the main reasons I used Spybot Search&Destroy was that it is a German org. They did not have the pressure put on them by the US to ignore certain spyware in their scans, as did Norton/Symantec and McAfee.

Keeping a mix of things in the pot helps keep every body honest, or at least exposed.

What? Me, Paranoid?
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:57 pm

I just assume there's all kinds of crap Government's are doing behind our backs...that's why guys like Ralph Nader will never get into office, too honest...you need to have a long standing history of dishonesty to get a seat in government :mrgreen:
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Return to Tech News Zone