Hacking 101 :o)

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

Hacking 101 :o)

Postby DaFoxx » Fri May 03, 2013 4:56 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22398484

A group of pupils at a middle school in Alaska took control of their classroom computers after phishing for administrator privileges.

They asked teachers at Schoenbar Middle School, for 12 to 13-year-olds, to enter admin names and passwords to accept a false software update, according to reports.

The pupils used those details to access and control classmates' PCs.

Classmates then complained that their computers were not responding normally.

Associated Press said that at least 18 pupils were involved in the phishing, which gave them control over 300 computers allocated for student use at the school in the Alaskan town of Ketchikan.

Those computers have now been seized.

"I don't believe any hardware issues were compromised," Casey Robinson, the principal, told community radio station Ketchikan FM.

He said: "No software issues were compromised. I don't think there was any personal information compromised. Now that we have all the machines back in our control, nothing new can happen."

makes me wonder just what the teacher was teaching
and how the feck they fell for the oldest trick in the IT book
but there IS one born every minute
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: Hacking 101 :o)

Postby rapier57 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:35 pm

I worry about the principal's response. What kind of knob is he? Did he not have an tech with some intelligence to respond to the media?

Probably a "Sarah Palin" leftover.

I'm so glad my niece left Alaska.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Fri May 03, 2013 10:53 pm

FFS I did that at school on Windows 3 in about 1994. Actually I don't even think it was windows. I don't know what it was but we owned it when we got the pcs. Teachers never even noticed
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby dinowuff » Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 pm

I've said it before, but I love telling this story.

When I was a young lad (back in the late 70's) Dennis Ritchie was scheduled to host a fall seminar at a local community college. Mind you I was 16 - 17 years old and had a Grade Point average of around -1. (IN the U.S. Grade Points are from 0 - 4; I have no idea how that translates to European standards) Anyway, I really didn't have much use for High School as I was smarter than my teachers and classmates. (Guess how well I got along with others in my school)

So I go to the local college and attempt to sign up for the seminar. I'm not sure what the name of the course was but it dealt with this new, upcoming technology called "Object Orientated Computer Design Language" (OOP). To my dismay I was told since I had not yet graduated High School, and had a subterranean GPA - I did not have enough credits to attend the course. I told the admissions folks that it was a two day seminar and not a course. I didn't want credit - only to attend. I was told that I wouldn't understand the subject matter anyway. "Really"?

To no avail, I left without paying my $150 and no admittance badge. Lucky for me I had all summer. Shortly after I returned to the college to sign up for a summer class. Introduction to Computers (CIS 101). Apparently anyone could sign up for that class. So I went to work. Being part of the CIS 101 class and a registered student I had access to the schools computer lab. I figured out how the admissions and scholastic databases worked. A ONE WAY SYNC!

So If I hacked my account on the scholastic side, that would have been caught almost immediately. So I hacked my account on the admissions side. The admissions database updated from the accounting (scholastic) database but there was no referential integrity. AND no reason for admissions to question the information in their database - and no one in accounting ever looked at the admissions database because (I assume) accounting considered the admissions DB as a true Copy of their DB.

Here we are at the end of my trek and thus the results of my college hack.

Not knowing anything about credit hours - once I hacked into the admissions database I was presented with a three character field followed by a single character field on a line titled "Credit Hours" I knew I needed credit hours to attend the seminar but really didn't know how many. My student account had 5 in the last field, which I later learned that was half a credit hour for the CIS class. Not knowing what to do - I did what any n00b would. I entered 999 9, logged out and went home. The following week I went and registered for the seminar.

I spent $150 dollars and spent a weekend listening to Dennis Ritchie talk about compilers, UNIX, C and C++ (I was like a Vampire in a blood bank)

I got an A+ in the CIS 101 Class

I eventually learned that it is impossible to earn 999.9 Credit Hours in a two year community college!

I guess admissions didn't understand the subject matter either.
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Postby DaFoxx » Fri May 10, 2013 5:32 pm

dinowuff wrote:Guess how well I got along with others in my school

hmmm - lets think about that just for a minute ................ :hysterical:
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby rapier57 » Fri May 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Most of the stuff I dealt with in the early 70's was still run by punch card. I didn't see a terminal system until I worked as a Sports Editor in a small newspaper in about '78. Even then, it was all sneaker net carrying eight-inch floppy from desktop to typesetter. I was probing into university VAX systems in the early 80's, using a CP/M box and 300 BAUD modem. I even hacked a Prime system back then, but that was just too easy.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Return to Tech News Zone