IE8 zero-day flaw targets U.S.

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

IE8 zero-day flaw targets U.S.

Postby DaFoxx » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:45 pm

IE8 zero-day flaw targets U.S. nuke researchers; all versions of Windows affected
http://www.zdnet.com/ie8-zero-day-flaw- ... 000014908/

read it through, and it all points to the good old boys of Red China back in business

Summary: Security researchers have discovered a previously unreported zero-day attack that targets U.S. government nuclear weapons scientists and researchers. Microsoft has warned Internet Explorer 8 users to upgrade to a later version of the browser, as the potentially affects at most one-quarter of all IE users.

Attackers have exploited a previously unknown vulnerability in Internet Explorer 8, which targets U.S. government workers involved in nuclear weapons research.

According to multiple security research firms, the vulnerability has been used to launch specifically-targeted "watering hole" attacks aimed at U.S. government workers — such as those at the U.S. Department of Labor and the U.S. Department of Energy — the latter which focuses on nuclear weapons research and testing.

The specific site that was hacked, the Dept. of Energy's Site Exposure Matrices (SEM) website, deals with "nuclear-related illnesses" linked to Dept. of Energy facilities of employees who may have fallen ill developing or disarming nuclear weapons, according to NextGov.

It's not clear whether any data was stolen or if classified documents were at risk.
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: IE8 zero-day flaw targets U.S.

Postby DaFoxx » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:50 pm

further to this
http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-fixes-tw ... 000015369/

MS seem to have patched it now
date of above was early May - 5th, this from 14th, so just over a week to get a patch sorted and posted isn't too shabby, considering the sheer scale of the beastie
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby rapier57 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:14 pm

Yeah, sheer scale. IE8. Why are there so many still using it?

Left IE8 in the dirt a few years ago.

IE8, die die die.

:dragons:

:insanity1:
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby DaFoxx » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:50 pm

still supporting IE SIX :shock: at work, and that is 25 000 + users all on XP too of course
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Return to Tech News Zone