Microsoft parades Windows 8.1

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

Microsoft parades Windows 8.1

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:52 pm

Microsoft parades Windows 8.1, the version you may actually want
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/05 ... _computex/
Computex 2013 Microsoft today demonstrated Windows 8.1 for the first time in public and showed off at least 60 compatible devices - including Haswell-powered gadgets.

Windows vice-president Antoine Leblond took the Computex crowd through a whistlestop tour of all the major new functionality in the OS formerly known as Windows Blue.

Key among these, first unveiled last week, are the return of the Start icon; improvements to the touchscreen keyboard; optimisation for cheaper tablets smaller than the 10 and 11-inchers Windows 8 was built for; and the ability to view multiple apps on the same screen to create a “rich productivity experience”.

“With Windows 8.1 we bring new management capabilities and great advancements in security and mobility. It [has been] made better through customer feedback,” said Windows chief finance and marketing officer Tami Reller. The free upgrade is due to arrive later this year.

In a bid to help Microsoft own a bigger share of the mobile computing space, email app Outlook and the Office suite will now ship "in-box" on Windows RT notebooks and tablets. Support for Intel Bay Trail, Qualcomm 8974 and Nvidia T40 processors was also announced.

Nick Parker, Redmond’s vice-president for OEMs (original equipment manufacturers), also demonstrated Windows on a range of devices, from all-in-ones to small tablets, as part of Microsoft's ongoing attempt to prove its new OS can appeal outside of the corporate sphere.

Sony’s newly announced flagship 11in ultrabook, the Haswell-based Vaio Pro 11, was probably the pick, weighing in at a feather-light 900g, but there was also mention of Acer’s new Iconia W3 7 inch tablet and Lenovo’s Lynx 8 incher.

The message from Parker and his Redmond colleagues on stage was one of Windows 8.1 combining with innovative hardware to “advance the vision” – a notably conciliatory tone considering the recent sniping by certain Taiwanese OEMs following Microsoft’s Surface launch

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: Microsoft parades Windows 8.1

Postby rapier57 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:00 pm

... as part of Microsoft's ongoing attempt to prove its new OS can appeal outside of the corporate sphere.

Uh, OK. But, it doesn't appeal inside the corporate sphere.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby dinowuff » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:11 pm

rapier57 wrote:Uh, OK. But, it doesn't appeal inside the corporate sphere.

LOL Jeeze I need to visit here more often. Best quote on the net rapier!
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Postby rapier57 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:13 pm

I do get a good one in once in a while, don't I?

:lol:
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:52 pm

They can hang gold coins off it but it won't matter.

Win8 can't be centrally administered properly without WSUS 2012+

Since more enterprises don't have that yet, Win8 can go to hell, and probably will.

MS makes money from businesses not consumers, they've forgotten that in the rush for mobile pennies.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Return to Tech News Zone