Google, Dell in computer tie-up

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.
xierox
Hoopy Frood

Google, Dell in computer tie-up

Fri May 26, 2006 3:47 am

Computer giant Dell and internet search engine Google have reached a deal to install a version of Google software on Dell at the factory level.

The Dell computers will contain Google software including several personal computer applications, a Google toolbar and a co-branded homepage.

Both firms will receive revenue from the deal, but details remain unknown.

Google chief executive Eric Schmidt said that it was the first of several deals.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/5018372.stm

- Xierox

Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it's been.

Maverick
Top Gun
Are you a Spammer: No

Fri May 26, 2006 4:10 am

I might be mistaken, but wasn't the Google Toolbar already being installed on Dell machines from the factory? We order plenty of Dell equipment and I should know the exact answer, but I'm not 100% about that - I think that at least the toolbar is installed by default though...
- Maverick

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Fri May 26, 2006 8:01 am

Maverick wrote:I might be mistaken, but wasn't the Google Toolbar already being installed on Dell machines from the factory?
I might be mistaken about the Google Toolbar - but don't all Dell systems now come with Firefox, which has the Google search bar in the top-right hand corner?

I guess this is an advantage to a certain extent.. If apps like Google Earth are already included, then there won't be a need to download them! :D But, if apps like Google Desktop Search are included, then that's just another reason to avoid Dell IMO :shock:
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

Maverick
Top Gun

Fri May 26, 2006 1:15 pm

J_K9 wrote:
Maverick wrote:I might be mistaken, but wasn't the Google Toolbar already being installed on Dell machines from the factory?
I might be mistaken about the Google Toolbar - but don't all Dell systems now come with Firefox, which has the Google search bar in the top-right hand corner?

I guess this is an advantage to a certain extent.. If apps like Google Earth are already included, then there won't be a need to download them! :D But, if apps like Google Desktop Search are included, then that's just another reason to avoid Dell IMO :shock:

Now I've never seen any Dell machine that we've ordered come with Firefox preinstalled..

But now that you mention it, I also think that I've seen Google Desktop Search preinstalled in the past as well.... Hmmmm...
- Maverick

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Fri May 26, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Dell were pre-installing Firefox on all their desktops and laptops (at least in Europe) :?:

And, about GDS - :vomit1: I don't think it's a good idea :)
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

Maverick
Top Gun

Fri May 26, 2006 1:30 pm

J_K9 wrote:I
And, about GDS - :vomit1: I don't think it's a good idea :)

I agree - but I don't really use anything that comes preinstalled, we wipe the OS of all of the installed programs, then reconfigure the machines with software and security settings that we operate on here...
- Maverick

dinowuff
I've posted HOW many
Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Fri May 26, 2006 1:37 pm

GDS is a nightmare. It index's everything including network shares
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Fri May 26, 2006 2:13 pm

I was shocked how much shite comes supplied on a new Dell.
Value added content no doubt.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Maverick
Top Gun

Fri May 26, 2006 3:32 pm

Aspman wrote:I was shocked how much shite comes supplied on a new Dell.

It's the reason that Dell can offer their PC's at such a cheap price - since they're getting paid by 3rd party vendors to preload that the wares from those vendors, Dell can afford to lower the price on their PC's... Not so much anymore, but about a year ago you could buy a kickass (kickass in the workstation sense) Dell machine, 17" flat panel monitor included for just over $700 after tax and shipping...
- Maverick

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Fri May 26, 2006 3:49 pm

Which is why I spend about all day removing the useless crap, trying to get to a basic just the nescessities Ma'am... :?

xierox
Hoopy Frood

Sat May 27, 2006 1:41 am

It's especially annoying for older people who are only running with 256 megs of ram and don't know to turn off all that Dell crap. :(

- Xierox
Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it's been.