VMware Delivers Free VMware Server

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.
Panama Red
I come Unseen

VMware Delivers Free VMware Server

Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:39 pm

Enterprise-Class Support and VMware VirtualCenter Management Now Available

PALO ALTO, Calif., July 12, 2006 - VMware, Inc., the global leader in virtual infrastructure software for industry-standard systems, today announced the general availability of VMware Server after a five month beta program with more than 700,000 downloads. Customers deploying the free hosted virtualization product for Linux and Windows servers can now purchase enterprise-class support from VMware. In addition, they can now use VMware VirtualCenter to centrally provision, monitor and manage VMware Server deployments.
http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/server.html

For Download

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/ 8)

Timaxe
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:08 am

I was trying to figure out why my Beta expired. Figured it out this morning when I visited their website. But this is a nice heads-up for anyone not involved in the beta. I'm glad it is finally a mature product. :)

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Sat Jul 15, 2006 2:43 am

I'm still trying to work out the difference between this (VMware Server) and VMware Player. Wikipedia wasn't much help.

Thanks for the heads up, Dalek :D
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR
Are you a Spammer: No

Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:40 am

i think Player just lets you play virtual machines that other people created, where with server you can create and run your own....

i used VMware for a little bit on Windows to run Unbuntu as a guest, I tried gentoo... but I couldn't get X working nor could i get the vmware-tools package working.

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Sat Jul 15, 2006 11:14 am

outerlimit wrote:i think Player just lets you play virtual machines that other people created, where with server you can create and run your own....
Ah... So VMware Server has effectively rendered my little Player hack useless. It was good while it lasted :D

Thanks, outerlimit ;)
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

xierox
Hoopy Frood

Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:44 am

Thanks! Definitely gonna be checkin' this out!

- Xierox
Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see. Lately it occurs to me what a long strange trip it's been.

TedOb1
Just beginning to get the hang of it

Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:31 am

vmworkstation (including the trial version) allows you to make images of servers or workstations to play with the player that comes with workstation or the stand alone player. of course the are ways of getting around using the workstation for images but i only change the files to play bootable OS's on my computer. its easier to insall VM OS's by putting the trial version on a computer that has never had it.

so what is the purpose of VMserver anyway?? maybe i should just go to the site and read about it. id be interested to find out but it's not high on my lidt of things to do right now.

cemetric
Corporate Spy

Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:26 am

Well ...I've downloaded the lot ... Looks very interesting ... And did you see the load of virtual appliances and servers available for download ... Massive ...And very interesting stuff .

.C.

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:00 am

cemetric wrote:And did you see the load of virtual appliances and servers available for download ... Massive ...And very interesting stuff .
I know - but if I'm going to test something out, for example, a new Linux distro, or an OS with different configuration options, or even the dreaded XP, then I need to be able to make my own VMs. And I still don't know exactly what VMware Server does :D

Maybe I should just get VMware Workstation and get this over and done with ;)

[edit] VMware Workstation: $189. :shock: No thanks!
Last edited by J_K9 on Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:28 am

Hi guys,

Right can i see if i've got what this does straight. From what i can make out from the website this program can effecively turn a single server into 2 or more. Eg, if i want to run say a file server, a web server, an FTP server and a mail server, this program would allow me to run all 4 off the same machine and if i really wanted (not saying you would) i could even go as far as to use different OS's for each???

Then it also has an array of management tools to make the monitoring and maintenance of them all do-able/easier. Lastly if i was running that and eventually got enough money to purchase a new server it would allow me (in real time whilst they were still running) to move 1 or more of them to the new server if i wanted to???
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:32 am

Shippwreck wrote:Eg, if i want to run say a file server, a web server, an FTP server and a mail server, this program would allow me to run all 4 off the same machine
You don't need virtualisation to do that - and your server would have greater performance if it did not use VMs to run those servers.
and if i really wanted (not saying you would) i could even go as far as to use different OS's for each???
I think that's right :) You seem to be right about the maintenance thing as well - they have their own 'control centre' app.

But, can you make your own VMs with VMware Server? If you can, then I can use it to make them, and run them with the Player. I'd try it out myself, but it's around 130MB large IIRC, and that would take a few hours to download on my connection ;)

cemetric
Corporate Spy

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:33 am

That's basically it yes ...

It works kinda like VMWARE Workstation, but needs to be installed on a Windows 2000/2003 server or a Liux distro.

So once installed you can create virtual machines to your hearts content, or until you run out of memory/diskspace whatever :mrgreen:

I'll install it on a spare pc I have running XP now ... I'm going to install a Linux distro that doesn't take much memory to run, so I have ample memory to run the virtual ones ... I'm dreaming of a high perfromance pc so I can install multiple virtual machines :D

[edit] Just for J_K ...
Quick and easy, wizard-driven virtual machine creation
Read the features section again J_K9 ... Open those sleepy eyes :mrgreen:
[/edit]

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:36 am

Ah, great! Cheers Cem! :D
cemetric wrote:I'm dreaming of a high perfromance pc so I can install multiple virtual machines :D
And I'm dreaming of a fast connection with which I can download VMware Server in a few minutes, instead of a few hours :sad:

Can we swap for a day? :D

cemetric
Corporate Spy

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:39 am

Can we swap for a day?
nope ... I allready downloaded them all ... Linux versions and windows' ones.
:mrgreen:

Hate to rub it in ;) ... nooooot :twisted:

Now to find a sponsor for my new pc :D

.C.

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:42 am

Damn it! Anyone want to set up another, faster, cheaper ISP over here? :D

I really wanted to try it, as I've managed to get my hands on a Debian DVD, so a VM would be perfect for that - and I want to test out some malware as well. Not a problem - I'll just do it on one of my five powerful PCs. Hate to rub it in, Cem :mrgreen: Or I can just use the VMware Player hack ;)