Proposal done

The place to kick back, relax, have a few cold ones, and grill a few on the BBQ

Proposal done

Postby SirDice » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:45 pm

Yeah! My first project proposal is out the door :good:

It's about upgrading and updating a small internet company with a couple of dozen FreeBSD servers. Hopefully the potential client likes my ideas and hires me to do the whole thing. And by whole thing I mean the whole thing. Project planning, building, implementing, everything. Including, but not limited to, installation of new servers, network infrastructure, configuration management, monitoring, backups, security. The whole nine yards. Most of it is done by hand now and they want something a bit simpler to maintain so they can run most of it themselves automatically with the push of a couple of buttons. :shock:

I've done many projects in the past, big and small. But mostly advisory or as an engineer implementing it. So the past week I've done a lot of research and been typing like mad. Had to be careful not to go into too many details. It's pretty hard to stop being an engineer. But we're not there yet, not for the first proposal anyway. But I think I got a pretty good idea of what they want and how to implement it. Being an engineer that has seen quite a lot of environments means I do have a good overview of what's needed and what's possible. And having used FreeBSD for about 15 years certainly helps :D

I'm actually pretty proud of it, I don't think I've ever typed so many words in one document. The boss liked it on my first submission. He added a few financial and company bits, changed some wording here and there and told me to send it off. So just made some final adjustments, mostly layout, and it's done now. Out the door. Fingers crossed.

Time for a round of drinks me thinks
:drunk5:
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Re: Proposal done

Postby Opus » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:36 pm

congratulations on the accomplishment and I hope it all pans out for you
There are two rules for success in life:
Rule 1: Don't tell people everything you know.
Opus
I type, therefore I am

Postby rapier57 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:43 am

Excellent, SD! Hope you get the work.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby SirDice » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:00 pm

I'm kind of excited and terrified at the same time, is that normal?

Boss got me a few other small projects to do in-house. Write a few nagios plugins for the UK branch and something with Linux (no further details yet) for the Prague branch. Sounded fairly simple but it should at least keep me busy short-term.

This is actually the kind of thing why I signed up with a contracting company for. Do some projects here and there but nothing steady. If my signature is anything to go by I now finally figured out I really shouldn't do the same work anywhere for more than 3 years. After that I start getting bored. The previous assignment was basically a couple of years too long.
Oliver's Law:
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby rapier57 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:32 pm

Yeah, that's normal. Kinda like when I ship out a short story or novel proposal. I'm on pin-n-needles until I get the rejection, which could take months.

:roll:

I have no idea how I would react if I actually got a story sold, or an editor or agent wanted my novel.
Rapier57.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby SirDice » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:44 am

W00t!

The customer liked my proposal. Now I have to put my money where my mouth is :shock:

Initial planning to implement my proposal is about 2 months. But they'd like to have the option to extend it a couple of months. If everything goes as planned they may have some more work for me :cool3:

I am so getting drunk tonight

:drunk6: :drunk7:
Oliver's Law:
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby DaFoxx » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:27 pm

SirDice wrote:I am so getting drunk tonight

:drunk6: :drunk7:

will be with you in spirit if not in actual spirits :P
good luck and enjoy the headache
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby rapier57 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:13 am

Just make sure you are ready to hit the decks running next week so you slam a home run.
Rapier57.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby SirDice » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:55 pm

Just a little update. I've been working for the client now for the past 3-4 weeks. I'm almost done configuring puppet. I can quickly and automatically build a webserver and a database server. There's still a bit of work to be done, I'm not happy yet with the way I've set up things now. Mainly because I'm learning puppet as I go and only discovered hiera when I already had a bunch done. With hiera I can just create a couple of configuration files that tell puppet which packages should go on which server and how they should be configured. All the magic is done by various modules I wrote. That allows for a lot of flexibility. It's now easy for the client to add a certain package to a server type if he needs to and it will get pushed to the correct servers automatically.

While I'm doing that, I'm also re-designing the network itself. We've recently replaced 2 of the 4 switches for faster newer models with more ports. The other 2 are basically on cold-standby. Now I'm trying to wrap my head around the Juniper firewalls the client bought on my advice. Luckily we'll have somebody with a lot of Juniper experience coming in tomorrow afternoon. I can configure most of it but it's nice to have somebody more experienced around to bounce ideas of off. Even if it's only for a few hours. At the very least he can verify if I set it up correctly.

Anyway, all is going well. I really like doing this project. There's a lot for me to learn and I can pretty much implement everything right away. I've got a lot more to do, client keeps coming up with new things, but there's already some light at the end of the tunnel. I'm certain I will get this done with all the bells and whistles he needs 8)
Oliver's Law:
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Postby DaFoxx » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:55 pm

nicely done
another hangover on order :)
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby rapier57 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:17 am

Good job, SD! Keep up the good work.
Rapier57.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Return to TAZ Bar & Grill