overheard conversations

The place to kick back, relax, have a few cold ones, and grill a few on the BBQ

overheard conversations

Postby rapier57 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:55 pm

So, what do you do?

Just took a trip to Boise to see family and found myself, more than once, overhearing completely clueless folks talking about responding to phishing email, answering calls and talking to fake support folks, you all heard the stories.

You're sitting in a restaurant, and you hear someone talking about these bank emails they get and they have to respond or their bank accounts will be frozen, or that they had some MS support call and they had a virus and they helped the person get into their system.

I struggled with jumping into their conversation. Everything in the conversations reflect the things we continue to try to keep folks from doing. But, the real kicker was how they talked as though this kind of thing happened all the time and they acted like they knew what they were doing. Then they complained that their nearly new computer was now so slow they might have to replace it.

How do you break into that conversation and bring someone who is so firmly entrenched in their own fractured belief system into reality? They continue to be victims of their own misunderstanding and do not seem to be open to being corrected.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Re: overheard conversations

Postby DaFoxx » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 pm

sad to say, but stupid hurts
there is nothing we can do, and if you DID intervene they would be angry at you for eavesdropping on their 'private' conversation too :(

on the plus side however, it does keep us in work :?
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby rapier57 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:18 pm

Yeah. I'd rather prevent than do the cleanup.

Stupid is as stupid does.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby dinowuff » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:45 pm

rapier57 wrote:How do you break into that conversation and bring someone who is so firmly entrenched in their own fractured belief system into reality? They continue to be victims of their own misunderstanding and do not seem to be open to being corrected.

YOU DON'T!

In the past I have said; "Excuse me, my name is Dino and I run a computer company that deals with exactly what you are experiencing all the time'. [Hand business card]

I would like to talk to you further to explain some of your options".

Some are polite and take my card, some are rude and tell me to fuck off (in a polite way), others just look at me like deer in head lights. None of them ever call.

You can't fix stupid. Oh and BTW Microsoft just bought AOL and Bill Gates is going to send everyone, that replies to this post, $10,000 USD. To this day I still have people forwarding these emails to me asking if it's true or not.
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Return to TAZ Bar & Grill