To the members

The place to kick back, relax, have a few cold ones, and grill a few on the BBQ

Postby Kwiep » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:40 pm

Look I'll point at a site that has been through all this already: unerror. Voila, it's so frickin similar it's almost scary. It has no purpose whatsoever, it consists of a bunch of AO-spinoffs, it has been dead for a while and most posts are about how to make unerror a better place of wich again 25% are of microburn saying that he can't do it alone.

Sure, if we want more content we can post it ourselves. That's a problem on itself. Don't get this wrong, but three important considerations are:
1) you're only the 8th site IN A ROW with AO people that says this, maybe I'm too tired shooting for the mud and pooring my resources in an almost certain failure, because why would this site be different from the last 7?
2) why am I gonne put my resources in here in a website that is technically not mine. I'd be alot more efficient just starting my own thing (no politics, no waiting for admin permission).
3) why wouldn't I go to a place that already runs well. I got plenty of other stuff to do with better chances of succes and less redundant results.

Whatever happens, someone has to take the lead and device something of a goal. It doesn't have to be a purpose to the forum, just something to aim for. Then get it done and some people might pitch in some help.

I'm not gonne take the lead, catch isn't gonne either and well, by the current looks of it noone is going to.
Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:00 pm

Hi neel,

You're right...a lot of places do fail...but they mostly fail because those that start them sit on their butts waiting for everything to come to them...they don't want to work for it...
I work at this site and the website...I pound the pavement...I don't wait for things to come fall in my lap...
if this place fails it won't be because there wasn't enough effort put into it...

it might become number 8 on the list...that is a possibility...and it definitely will be the case if everyone has the attitude " I'm too tired shooting for the mud and pooring my resources in an almost certain failure "

that will kill a site no matter how good it could be...if everyone had that attitude no site could succeed under that umbrella of certain failure.

The site has a very good chance if the attitude is ' yes, we can do this '...and a very poor chance if the attitude is ' f3ck it, why bother '

That's the main reason those other sites died...from the top down, from working at it to working for it...it was ' f3ck it, why bother '.

How can anyone lead under those conditions?

Eg ;)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Aspman » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:14 pm

Looking at Unerror it does have an eerily similar feel[sic?]. Though even more deserted.

Is the website the main focus over the forum or is it vice versa?

It does seem that the people who come here are here for the craic more than anything else. That's borne out by the nubers of posts in non-IT areas.

There isn't an excess of ego here it's easier going than AO. You've not even had a flame war yet. There are heated discussions but it's all remarkable civilised considering how quick some people are to get their hackles up online.

There you go, something positive.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Kwiep » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:26 pm

Hey Egaladeist,

I think you understand in the other 7 cases there were people who did work and wanted to make it work. I even made a fricking linux distro for unerror because people thought it would get users. My opinion of "f3ck it, why bother" won't get you anywhere indeed, lucky you that I'm not even gonne try. I'm just explaining why I have that attitude and why others have that attitude and why its not gonne change unless other things change.

I don't want to attack you here, I'm just gone by direct. What exactly have you done for the website. As far as I know this: you arranged hosting, a domain, subdomains and you made a few websites and put them up. Those are technical things everyone can do in some way or another. To draw a little annalogy here, you got wood, nails and a hammer and you build a little shoppingstand. Right now there's no merchandise in the stand and the stand is located somewhere in the desert and you told 10 people where it is and they came to have a look. They brought a keg of beer celebrated a bit. That's where we're at now.

Sure it has potential, but I guess you see it needs something more to get anywhere.

Ciao
Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi Asp,
There you go, something positive.

About time, DAMN! :D

I tried to even it out...equal number of computer related forums to general forums...because I didn't want the site to specifically be either...but rather both.

We haven't benefitted from traffic yet and probably won't for a couple of months...I just got several very good feedback e-mails from some of the places I submitted this site too...and your standard yes you have been accepted ones...
but when traffic does start coming this way I hope we're working together building this site not just complaining about what a waste of time it is to even bother trying.

EDIT:

Hi neel,

Well...aside from what you mentioned...i've submitted this site to several search engines....submitted this site to several forum specific and non-forum specific directories...i've signed up to a few major sites and included links in my signature ( hoping to have time to post there and expose the site )...looked into ad space and cost and read several forum promotion tutorials...signed onto three SEO sites and became a member of both Cnet and About.com

Eg ;)
Egaladeist

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:49 pm

To add...because the website is the financial interest in all this I've signed onto several affiliate programs, downloaded two potential stores that can be duplicated to sell affiliate merchandise or our own stuff...
thinking about the possibility of adding a tucows affiliate mirror...if it is possible...etc...

the improvements and additions to the website will eventually draw traffic to the forums as well...especially if I can mirror a site like tucows.

Eg ;)
Egaladeist

Postby HTRegz » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:04 pm

Eg,

A Fix for the problem.... that's simple enough... get whoever's playing with the code to do it properly... get a host with better mail server support... learn how php works so you know what's wrong...

Without knowledge of the exact lines of code and the setup of the server it's impossible for any of us to fix it for you.... Also since the error is sporadic at best.... it's hard to get it to come up again.. and really not worth my time...

You say that AO has nothing to offer.... A custom front page portal, a downloads section, a tutorials section.. both seperately search able... a large user base (sure that comes over time.. but it's there to offer).. and for once.. a better colour scheme than another site :P... this one. hah..

As for the prestige thing... come on.. do you seriously think that makes a difference... AO is running with plenty of little features that attract users... your site has none of those..

Hell.. I'll give you the code for the former ComputerDefense.org page if ya want.. Custom front-page news system, administrative pages that allowed you to specify users and their levels... a tutorials section with the ability to attach files to the tutorials... a tools section... it's not complete.. but there's very little left to do.. tweak the tutorial database and that's it.. at least then you've got something to offer... if you can get people to fill the sections of it.

Peace,
HT

Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 535 authorization failed (#5.7.0)

DEBUG MODE

Line : 132
File : smtp.php

Well for starters you could disable debug mode.... great way to give information to potential hackers when you do have errors... Then you could try to configure it to provide the proper credentials to the mail server... there you go.. a fix for you.
HTRegz
I HAVE a real life, and it's HERE

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:26 pm

Hi HT,

ou say that AO has nothing to offer.... A custom front page portal, a downloads section, a tutorials section.. both seperately search able... a large user base (sure that comes over time.. but it's there to offer).. and for once.. a better colour scheme than another site Razz... this one. hah.

:P HT...you've mentioned nothing there that I haven't suggested here as an option...a front page portal, we had...and hope to replace, a tutorial section, I've suggested that might be way to kick off some forums by writing some basic tutorials, a user base ( time ) :P, as for color scheme, that's a question of taste, I have taste and you're color-blind :D :P ...but we intend to offer custom templates once we get all the bugs out...so users will have a choice of which they want to use.

Shipp is on vacation when he gets back he'll fix the bug :D I have confidence in his abilities and work-ethic.

Eg ;)
Egaladeist

Postby HTRegz » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:30 pm

Egaladeist wrote::P HT...you've mentioned nothing there that I haven't suggested here as an option...a front page portal, we had...and hope to replace, a tutorial section, I've suggested that might be way to kick off some forums by writing some basic tutorials, a user base ( time ) :P, as for color scheme, that's a question of taste, I have taste and you're color-blind :D :P

Shipp is on vacation when he gets back he'll fix the bug :D I have confidence in his abilities and work-ethic.

Eg ;)

Suggested has options and have are again two completely different points.. when you have them.. fully populated to the extent that AO does... then you'll have something to offer...

As for being colourblind, looking at this page I wish I was :)
HTRegz

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:41 pm

All those things will likely get added in time...we're still in the recovery stage from the move.

Eg ;)
Egaladeist

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:44 pm

just testing the new mail link

[edit]
no more de-bug :P

'possibly'

I've set the mail to my account for now
I'll set up details to my brothers server asap [prob the W/E]

cheers HT

although I like the colour :P
so my house would be no shock to you :D
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:50 pm

just realised HT wasn't in the mod squad

it's not moderators as such, it's where we drop all the AO'ers, and you get to see the 'hidden' bits too :D
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby HTRegz » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:07 am

Hey Hey,

Good work foxy... the hidden bits eh.... *trolls around the site* **in a good way**
HTRegz

Postby Aspman » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:32 am

I don't mind the colour scheme. Got to confess to a fanatical hatred of animated gifs though.

That one at the top is out of alignment too. Can't help it, I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive about things being in line.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Egaladeist » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:51 pm

Yes...even on the other site...it's never been quite right....I notice too because of the artist side of me...it subtle but noticeable.

Eg ;)
Egaladeist

Previous

Return to TAZ Bar & Grill