knighthood

The place to kick back, relax, post general bullshit, and grill a few on the BBQ. Whatever doesn't fit into another forum would go here. We periodically go through and move posts to the correct forum, but we do charge a case of Beer every time we have to.
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many
Are you a Spammer: No
Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

knighthood

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:57 pm

From CNN today

Blair was questioned about allegations that donors or lenders to his ruling Labour Party had been offered honors such as knighthoods and peerages in exchange for their financial support

Now my question is: What's the big deal? Besides the Queen calling you Sir, what does becoming a Knight do for someone? Like I said, Queen calls you sir and I'm sure there's a fancy medal and plaque to hang on the wall. But do you get any MONEY, get to retire at 50 instead of 60. I mean what's the deal.

No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Maverick
Top Gun

Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Prestige is all that I know that is involved - I guess to some people that means more than money?

I wouldn't mind being called Sir - but I wouldn't mind some extra cash in the bank either.. :mrgreen:
- Maverick

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:23 pm

I've never been Knighted, but my users call me Sir... :twisted: 8) (arrggghh keel hauling's too good fer ye maggot user) Image

llama love
UtterTazNutter

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:24 pm

Whilst I dont see the benefit of having one I dont think its very fair on those that have earned it if someone can come along and just buy a title.

Maverick
Top Gun

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:25 pm

Sir Maverick - I like the sound of that, LOL!
- Maverick

dinowuff
I've posted HOW many
Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:33 pm

llama love wrote:Whilst I dont see the benefit of having one I dont think its very fair on those that have earned it if someone can come along and just buy a title.
earn it? How do you earn a title?
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

llama love
UtterTazNutter

Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:38 pm

pffff feck knows, oooh and on second thoughts several footballers etc "earnt" a knighthood for doing nothing :?

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:15 pm

If Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney and Elton John can be Knighted then...

there is no value.

I always thought as a kid that a Knight was someone who ' bravely ' placed themselves in danger for the sake of others, god, Country...etc...who put their life on the line like a hero...

not some twit who wrote Band on the Run :roll:

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:16 pm

Yeah and a few poofters, one comes to mind Sir Elton John....Queen must of liked his wardrobe...Lol.. :mad: :P

It's a status thing now, it used to be awarded much like the current Nobel, you must have done something extraordinary in life or be useful like Winston Churchill, now it's like Bling or eye candy...it's lost it's appeal to a lot of people.

I think it was Sir Michael Caine who recently spoke up about the possibility of the rumour that David Beckham was being considered for the honour (he of marrying a spice girl fame... :lol: ) and saying the lads way too young for this award, which back away's you also had to be near death to receive it..

Deeboe
Uber Phreek

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:25 pm

I have been called sir many of times, but usually it is followed by something bad.

"Sir! You cant go in there."
"Sir! Please pull up your pants."
"Sir! This is not a toilet!"

-Deeboe

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:38 pm

dinowuff wrote:
llama love wrote:Whilst I dont see the benefit of having one I dont think its very fair on those that have earned it if someone can come along and just buy a title.
earn it? How do you earn a title?
Here is the Wiki on it, there are some impressive names, also there are different versions of Knighthood.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ho ... sh_Knights

And actually the list for Arts and Entertainment isn't all that long compared to Military... (Queen's getting older... may have developed a soft spot for looney actors and musicians, when Ozzy gets one then it's over :mad: )

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:44 pm

From what I've seen and heard, knights defended those that were defenseless and courted in the honorary way. They had battle armor that consisted of broad swords, shields (if you had a one-handed sword), bastard swords, plate armor, and the likes...the "knights" of today are nothing like those of the past that actually fought tooth and nail (on their horses, and off)...ever see a fully battle-armored horse? THOSE THINGS ARE MASSIVE!

"Knights" of today, I laugh at...sure, they've been knighted by someone who didn't fight in a war their whole lives, and sure...I'm not one, but I've never been cast a title that I didn't deserve through past pretenses! Elton John, while I like some of his songs, I don't think would fight for his country for one second and would run screaming the other way.

Just IMHO, and I have NOTHING against England, trust me...
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:59 pm

If they had of kept it to the Military types who qualify, it wouldn't have lost some of it's appeal, the list in the Wiki has an extensive one for Royalty types, but I think the Military one is legit, however if you read some of the names, you may end up shaking your head.. Chiang Kai-shek - GCB (1942) :shock:

But there are a few Americans on this list as well:

Omar Bradley - KCB
Wesley Clark - KBE (2000) (wasn't he CIA... :shock: )
William Joseph Donovan - KBE (he who originated the OSS pre CIA)
Dwight D. Eisenhower - GCB (1945), OM (1945) (no brainer)
George Marshall - GCB
Norman Schwarzkopf, Jr. - KCB (1993) (just for Gulf War 1, but he deserved it)
Colin Powell - KCB (1993)
John J. Pershing - GCB (1918)

harrykeavan
I COULD be out shopping

Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:08 am

this has been doing the rounds for a while as "The cash for peerages row"

labour spent too much cash in the past and borrowed a few million off a couple of millionaires.

As it so happens a few of the lenders were knighted so it happened to raise a few eyebrows.

labour is on the block now for their top level support of the current troop deployments.

any way mtc.

DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:33 am

knighthoods meen squat

BUT those that get them seem to place an inordinate amount of snobbishness in to them

and whenever you see some twat that has fleeced some old dears out of their pensions / savings you can be certain they NEVER take the title away

I feel that the removal of title would hurt them FAR more than mere monetary fines / jail time

without the title to hide behind they have nothing
UK spends far too much time down on bended knee cowtowing to these shitheads

and if they are for sale, make the price ten BILLION paid into the treasury to buy some decent weaponry / ordnance, should be able to afford a two week time share in a Nimrod class carrier for that :)
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :shock: