The Hurtt Prize

The place to kick back, relax, have a few cold ones, and grill a few on the BBQ

The Hurtt Prize

Postby Aspman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:00 pm

HOUSTON -- Houston's police chief on Wednesday proposed placing surveillance cameras in apartment complexes, downtown streets, shopping malls and even private homes to fight crime during a shortage of police officers.

"I know a lot of people are concerned about Big Brother, but my response to that is, if you are not doing anything wrong, why should you worry about it?" Chief Harold Hurtt told reporters

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/1110AP_Police_Cameras.html

So someone has started the Hurtt Prize:

The Hurtt Prize is a $1855 (and growing) reward for the first person who can provide definitive videotaped evidence of Houston police chief Harold Hurtt committing a crime, any crime. This evidence will posted here and forward to the Houston Police Department along with a demand that action be taken.

http://www.hurttprize.org/

So all you Texans get snapping and make your Police Chief feel safer.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:35 pm

Hi Asp,

Cameras don't deter much crime...we have cameras installed in our downtown core..which is pretty much just a bar district...and when someone is drunk or high they don't even remember the cameras are there :D

In apartment complexes is equally non-effective...unless they are so high they can't be just yanked down ( and most apt. ceilings are not very high ) it'll just give people something else to steal :D

But they are good if you have a home and can put them on the second floor rafters or wall over-looking your property...then, if they don't deter the invader at least they might get a picture of the intruder ( that is if the guy's a moron and hasn't covered up ) :D

I agree...let's strap three cameras onto the Chief and follow him around :D

Eg ;)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby DaFoxx » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:48 pm

Local city centre to me now has over 200 cameras up and running
they are all linked, and they can all be used to track offenders

be they bad drivers / street crime [fighting, theft etc]
the policy is to get up to two THOUSAND up and running

covering all roads into the city, and full coverage of the city as a whole, not just the centre.

it has stopped the violence [in the centre at least, and we have had one murder that was committed off camera]

I have nothing to fear from these

NOT because I am a fine upstanding citizen [which I am, natch]
but because I do NOT live there :D

Orwell eat your heart out
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Return to TAZ Bar & Grill