Heading for Brazil

The place to kick back, relax, post general bullshit, and grill a few on the BBQ. Whatever doesn't fit into another forum would go here. We periodically go through and move posts to the correct forum, but we do charge a case of Beer every time we have to.
rapier57
I've posted HOW many
Are you a Spammer: No

Heading for Brazil

Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:37 pm

Any of you all know of folks in Brazil--Brasilia specifically? Or do we have any TAZ-maniacs in Brazil?

I'm heading down tomorrow to try to find my son-in-law and bring him home. Some of you may have heard about him going missing this last week. Well, my daughter can't travel (pregnant and due in three weeks), so I get to go.

After tomorrow morning, I will be posting, when I can, from a hotel in Brasilia. I hope we can find him quickly and arrange to get home.

It is times like this I envy other parents going to rescue kids in foreign countries. That girl involved in the killing in Italy, at least her folks only had to get tickets. Italy allows US travelers to enter with just passports. Brazil requires a visa, and it ain't cheap or easy to get. Fortunately, we have some congressional pressure to speed things up and I have a good visa rep in SF to badger the consulate.

I'll let you all know how things turn out.

/edit:

The way things are going, though, I'll get to the airport and find out I've been put on the "no-fly" list.

Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:51 pm

Shit rapier57, this is the first I heard of this, good luck and God speed... :(

Maverick
Top Gun

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:20 pm

Yes, rapier, what's up? What happened, if you don't mind us asking?

Good luck, be safe, hope things turn out for the best..

EDIT:
Rapier, I found a related news posting about this situation online but not sure you want me posting it here..

If we're talking about the same thing - good luck buddy - sounds like a weird situation..
Last edited by Maverick on Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Maverick

outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:21 pm

Good luck!
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad

Harry
Site Admin

Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:47 pm

Haven't got a clue what you're on about Rapier, but good luck with it buddy. Wish I knew someone in Brazil who could help you...

If you need help looking things up online or what-not, agencies to go to, places to stay etc etc let us know, I'm sure we will all help where we can.
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:24 am

All the very best!

rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:24 am

Well, Murphy rules supreme. The Visa package didn't get to the expiditer until 1:20 pm today. It was supposed to be delivered between 8:30 and 10 am and the expiditer would take it to the consulate at 11. No package. Only because the driver tried to deliver the package at 7:37 am.

Damned FEDEX.

Ooops! My language!

Anyway, we're going to have the Visa package handled in the morning. I just got the tickets redone for departure on Saturday. But, to keep the cost from going through the roof, I had to have the return backed out to a week from Monday.

Thank goodness for a good travel agent. (www.abstravel.com, btw).

The new tickets will be here in the AM. So, we should be in good shape for Saturday, allowing that the consulate will grant the visas.

I think there is enough media attention on it that they will have to (I hope I hope).

Yeah, Mav, it's ok. "Tony Lee Harris" is my son-in-law. Not sure what's going on with him. Not all the information in the international media is correct. You can Google the full name and get the South American stories (mostly Protugese). "Tony Harris" will pick up some of the US (actually Seattle) coverage. My daughter is very preggers, as you will see.

There may be a national story on NBC, since they are interested in picking it up.
Last edited by rapier57 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rapier57.

@rapier57

Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:24 am

Take care Mr Rapier

Hope it all goes well for you.

Be safe.

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Maverick
Top Gun

Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:57 am

Yea rapier, that's the story that I was finding in my search - very weird situation...

Hope you are successful when you get there - hopefully he's just hiding out and safe.
- Maverick

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:04 am

Just read the story...seems like a pretty smart kid...so hopefully he's just hiding out.

Derbz
What DO you mean : real life

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:30 am

This is the first I've heard from it in Australia, nothing has made the local news yet but from a quick google I got a bit of background info.

I totally respect what you're doing, if I were in your shoes I'd be freakin out not knowing what to do...

Are you going to brazil alone?? Good luck man and be safe. I'm sure everyone here @ the taz are cheerin for ya.

rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:43 am

Thanks for all the good words!

I won't be going alone. My best friend is going with me. He and I worked together in our old journalism days some 20 years gone. He has black belts in a couple martial arts styles and is a very good person to have watching your back, especially in these dicey destinations. We've been planning the strategy and what we're going to be looking for. I'll be handling most of the media contacts, he will "be doing the security" as he said.

We will make contact with the US Embassy and Globo TV almost immediately. I'll stay out of the official law enforcement way, but encourage Tony to come out of hiding. Last thing I want to do is irritate the local constabulary.

Really, no law was broken as far as we know. Tony either just went into hiding, or managed to strand himself without cash or resources. I doubt very much that there is anything more sinister going on.

We also plan to show photos around certain areas where Tony was supposedly seen recently.

Can't believe how long it takes to get to Brasilia. We're looking at about 26 hours from the time we get on the plane to the time we get off in Brasilia.

I'm bringing a thick sword and sorcery novel to read on the plane. I was going to bring one of my Evil Genius books for some light reading, but figured the TSA folks would have a fit if they saw it.
Rapier57.

@rapier57

Ally
Our Lady of the Bay

Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:09 am

Good Heavens! :shock: All sounds a little dicey to me.

Watch yourself Rapier, and I hope you find Tony and you all get home safe and sound :D
Scientia potentia est - Knowledge is Power

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:23 am

Wow strange one. Not been in the news here.

Best of luck in your search, stay safe man.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:53 pm

Good luck dude. Hope you find him ok.