Robots evolve and learn to lie

The place to kick back, relax, post general bullshit, and grill a few on the BBQ. Whatever doesn't fit into another forum would go here. We periodically go through and move posts to the correct forum, but we do charge a case of Beer every time we have to.
Kamah
Account disabled @ user request

Robots evolve and learn to lie

Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:43 am

Robots can evolve to communicate with each other, to help, and even to deceive each other, according to Dario Floreano of the Laboratory of Intelligent Systems at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology.

Floreano and his colleagues outfitted robots with light sensors, rings of blue light, and wheels and placed them in habitats furnished with glowing “food sources” and patches of “poison” that recharged or drained their batteries. Their neural circuitry was programmed with just 30 “genes,” elements of software code that determined how much they sensed light and how they responded when they did. The robots were initially programmed both to light up randomly and to move randomly when they sensed light.

To create the next generation of robots, Floreano recombined the genes of those that proved fittest—those that had managed to get the biggest charge out of the food source.

The resulting code (with a little mutation added in the form of a random change) was downloaded into the robots to make what were, in essence, offspring. Then they were released into their artificial habitat. “We set up a situation common in nature—foraging with uncertainty,” Floreano says. “You have to find food, but you don’t know what food is; if you eat poison, you die.” Four different types of colonies of robots were allowed to eat, reproduce, and expire.

By the 50th generation, the robots had learned to communicate—lighting up, in three out of four colonies, to alert the others when they’d found food or poison. The fourth colony sometimes evolved “cheater” robots instead, which would light up to tell the others that the poison was food, while they themselves rolled over to the food source and chowed down without emitting so much as a blink.

Some robots, though, were veritable heroes. They signaled danger and died to save other robots. “Sometimes,” Floreano says, “you see that in nature—an animal that emits a cry when it sees a predator; it gets eaten, and the others get away—but I never expected to see this in robots.”

http://discovermagazine.com/2008/jan/ro ... how-to-lie

outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR
Are you a Spammer: No

Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:36 am

Looks like Kamah picked up some habbits or got lessons from Eg....

:P
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:41 am

You see now THAT is exactly the kid of research i would LOVE to be involved in... oh well back to Access and VBA!
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:25 am

Shippwreck wrote:You see now THAT is exactly the kid of research i would LOVE to be involved in... oh well back to Access and VBA!
Why not write your code so that it randomly pops up a message something like "God says jump out the window", "Eat some lead", "gravel aids digestion".

That should weed out some of the Darwin candidates and you get to experiment on them.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:58 am

Or i could say:

If Aspman logged in then logout

:hysterical:

Actually i've thought about trying to set something like that up on a computer as opposed to actual robots... just I don't know where to start! Its like when your writing a proposal or essay... its getting the first paragraph down thats the hardest!

Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:59 pm

That's some cool stuff. I wouldn't know how to program self enhancing code though. I figure the programmers did the recombining and mutating themselves, wich makes this a whole lot less cool.
Double Dutch

Maverick
Top Gun

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:44 pm

I was thinking the same thing Kwiep - how in the heck through 'random mutation' from generation to generation do the bots keep the 'smartest' genes (code snippets)???

Almost seems like for each generation, the code would have to be hand-picked for each new bot..
- Maverick

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:57 pm

^ like those neural bots that could learn to walk and adapt when they only had basic analogue circuits

BEAM robots
http://www.tombot.net/beamrobots.html
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Well if they made the "genes" discreet routines then out of the best robots they could then randomly pick the genes... ie number them 1 to 50 setup a random number gen and your away... and again if they were discreet routines then they could automatically be put back together and set off again... think object orientated as opposed to procedural programming and suddenly it becomes much easier...

rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:36 pm

There are possibilities using neural networking in AI-type programming to build code that learns. A good, dynamic internal database is required to maintain all the data points used for decision support. I dabbled in AI in the old days. So, I hold these kinds of projects suspect since it is entirely possible to induce influence in this kind of behavior and the press/Discovery Channel wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Your right, especially if Kwieps observation is also true...

Kamah
Account disabled @ user request

Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:01 pm

It's possible to induce it and it's possible it may have happened on its own. Either way, it's scary :1weird:

rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:12 pm

Nah, nothing to be scared about.

You will be assimilated.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57