Smokers banned from fostering

Where to go for Political chatter and gossip

Smokers banned from fostering

Postby Egaladeist » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:28 am

A council has become the first in London to rule that smokers will no longer be able to foster children.

Redbridge Council's cabinet agreed Tuesday night to a ban on placing children with foster carers who smoke unless there are exceptional circumstances.

The local authority in northeast London said the decision, which will come into force in 2010, was made to protect children from the "damaging effects of passive and second-hand smoke."

Other councils around the country have introduced similar measures, particularly relating to very young children, but Redbridge's ban is thought to be the most far-reaching.

http://www.reuters.com/article/oddlyEno ... RB20081105
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Smokers banned from fostering

Postby Aspman » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:42 am

Could they not just ask them to smoke outside?

Surely the safety of a good family outweighs the risks from smoking?
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Harry » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:12 am

I agree with it. If they asked them to smoke outside the council would probably have to periodically check up on everyone to ensure they are doing it.
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/
Harry
Site Admin

Postby Vorlin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:10 pm

It's a touchy subject, no doubt, because if it applies to a family where one or both parents smoke, then inadvertently they'd have to apply the law to vehicles also. When they passed the law in South Carolina on Augusta 1, 2008 making it so that any public place that allowed smoking (bars, restaurants, etc) no longer was allowed to have smoking indoors. The benefits were that bars no longer smelled like smoked ass and same for restaurants) but the downside is that people would just go right outside the door and you have to cut your way through the smoke that's RIGHT there at the door. There's no sign mandatory stating "No smoking within 50 feet of this door" or anything. And cars, now that smoking is definitely going to have smokers smoking in them a lot more, that's just going to ruin that car's interior because I don't care how much you clean it, you will NOT get that smell out. So then, selling used cars are going to have to be labeled "Smoking car for X years" or something.

I'm not against smoking but the downsides to it are a bit much, imho. It'll pan out eventually but how long is to be determined.

Back to the families, I know that if that were tried to be passed here, it probably would be shot down unbelievably fast due to the things that would occur. What's preventing them from smoking on their own property? Who's going to check? I know if I smoked and someone knocked on my door to "check" my smoking status, I'd be writing letters to the state and anyone else complaining about it, I'd be pissed the F off.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby dinowuff » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Redbridge Council's cabinet members must be a bunch of fucking idiots or Redbridge' population is 10.

So how do these geniuses propose to enforce this rule?

--- Application for Foster care provider ----

1. Do you smoke? Y / N

Well if it's in writing it must be true :rolleyes:

"That smell? Yes it is tobacco, my [friend, neighbor, brother, sister, daughter, son, foster charge, anyone else but me] was smoking".
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Postby Aspman » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:08 pm

I see the logic. Smoking, direct or passive, is bad for kids.

But if the prospective foster parents are otherwise good people then I'd still think the kids would be better off than in a government care home.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby SirDice » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Don't they interview people beforehand too?

"Yeah.. We're two chain smokers, we drink and do drugs too. We'd like to have one of them kids. Do you have one for us?"

Like that's going to happen anytime soon. So why do they need these specific rules?
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Return to Political Intrigue