Hummmmm...President of the US

Where to go for Political chatter and gossip

Hummmmm...President of the US

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:48 pm

OK...I'm really not big on ceremony or patriotic furor...I don't write letters to our representatives, don't participate in the political arena except for charity causes, don't have a Canadian flag in the house that I am aware of, don't vote very often...etc...however...

if I was an American this would really piss me off...I'm not even American and I find it very disturbing:

Senator Barack Obama, Governor Bill Richardson, Senator Hillary Clinton and Ruth Harkin stand during the national anthem.

http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0 ... 35,00.html

apparently this President ' refuses ' to wear a flag pin, and ' refuses ' to place his hand over his heart during the US National Anthem...

now if this was Joe-Shmo ...OK...but this is the President of the United States of America dissing every American who has shed blood for his Country...

absurd...and you elected him.

Do I hear IMPEACH the ( insert vulgar comment here )!
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Re: Hummmmm...President of the US

Postby Morganlefay » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:01 pm

what I dont get...is seeing you are so patriotic :roll:

Why do you care??

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby Panama Red » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:39 pm

I don't find it distressing, if anything I think Obama is quietly in his own way being respectful of the moment, maybe with some introspection, at least he's no Rosanne Barr grabbing his crotch and spitting out chewing tobacco while trying to sing the anthem, or the millions of beer swilling yahoos at major sports events that can't wait until the last note is played or last line is sung before roaring off into whatever it is they are roaring off to...

Just because he does not display himself in public you or the others feel he should, does not make him any less patriotic. Just a like a book, don't judge it by the cover... :cool3:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Harry » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:03 pm

What I find amusing is that only Canadians have commented so far :D

I don't blame him really - I wouldn't even think about putting my hand on my heart whilst singing the national anthem...its feckin silly for a start and I would feel like a right twat. Not that I would sing the national anthem either..

Would I wear a pin with the union jack....maybe but I would still feel like a twat.

Now - is that flag mahoosive of are those politician type folks all midgets?
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/
Harry
Site Admin

Postby Morganlefay » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:23 pm

Well I for one love my country...I have a flag outside my house, I vote and voice my opinions to my MP, and other ministers...including the PMO. :mrgreen:

When I was a kid we lived just outside Chicago....and if you didnt place your hand on your heart, and recite a pledge alligence to the flag ...you were out of place.

I like Reds take on it...he looks introspective...

MLF
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:30 pm

If it was anyone else...I wouldn't see a problem...but this guy is the President...

if I was an American soldier asked by this President to put my life on the line when he won't even acknowledge the basic symbols of America ...I would be offended.

To me...it's about the deeper meaning of showing respect...respect for those who have died and put their lives on the line.

I may not wave the flag but I do support our troops and I wouldn't even think of not singing our anthem on Remembrance Day or wearing a poppy as a common courtesy.
Egaladeist

Postby outerlimit » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:31 pm

It does piss me off, I didn't vote for him, and I'm not happy.
I don't agree with his views, I don't agree with his ideas.

I agree with what Eg said, however I really hope Red is right
14:35 < Maverick> I'm a gaywad
outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:36 pm

He not only refused to put his hand over his heart he also refused to sing it...

Edit correction...it was actually the Star Spangled Banner in that photo.
Egaladeist

Postby Harry » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:41 pm

Maybe he's not a good singer?
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/
Harry
Site Admin

Postby Morganlefay » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:43 pm

Have you heard the man speak....

His acceptance and inaugural speeches were spectacular..

the best I have heard since "ask not what your country........"

Very inspiring IMHO

and that photo btw...was taken BEFORE he was pres...not that it matters

MLF
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:51 pm

Apparently, when he was speaking to disabled veterans he was given a flag pin and did put it on...so...there are occasions he will part company with his objections.
Egaladeist

Postby Panama Red » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:54 pm

Everyone goose stepping and sig heiling were patriotic to an extent, how many were just going through the motions...just because he doesn't sing it (maybe he is tone death) or place his hand over his heart, doesn't make him a commie or fascist, it's his way, and as far as I am concerned as long as he looks after the disabled vets and makes the in theater troops safe, then he is doing ok.

Not everyone who waves the flag or salutes it or places hand over heart are necessarily patriotic, they may not even know the "true" meaning of patriotism, and it's not because you can sing or wave a flag and put hand over heart... :breakfast:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:59 pm

just because he doesn't sing it (maybe he is tone death) or place his hand over his heart, doesn't make him a commie or fascist

But that's not what I am suggesting...

all I'm saying is that the guy is the President...regardless of his political ideology, he knew what was expected of him before he took office. It is actually a violation of the US Flag Code for the president to refuse to place his hand over his heart.

If someone running for the office of Canadian Prime Minister did this...I certainly would not vote for him...and our Prime Ministers have been more wacky than US Presidents.
Egaladeist

Postby Panama Red » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:08 pm

The fact that he is the President of the US should be a matter of fact that he is patriotic, it's the office of the US president, same with Officers in the military, I may hate the Admirals guts and think he's an idiot, but I have to respect the office, or uniform or title of Admiral, so it goes without saying that the US President by virtue of his office does respect the flag and or everything associated with it...the person could be picking his nose for all anyone cares, it's the position...CIC
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Panama Red » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Look Bill Clinton was probably getting a BJ while standing under a flag, that's pretty disrespectful, but he's the Prez, and quite rightly shouldn't be questioned on it...I don't berate an Admiral if he forgets to salute me back unless I want a posting to Antartica, or my pay records go to Antartica, the guy is just a man, the office or Commander in Chief is a position and title and that commands the respect of everyone in uniform, regardless if he's an idiot or not...so to say that because he doesn't hold his hand over his heart is being disrespectful is being presumptuous to say the least, or maybe he just had a brain fart and forgot to do it....his life is in a whirlwind, he's only been in office for like 80 days maybe and everyone is trying their damndest to run him out of town.........wonder why? :cool3:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Next

Return to Political Intrigue