British sniper gets two at 8120feet

Where to go for and post Political chatter and gossip, including Government screw ups, Military covert operations, top secret files, anything related to Government.
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

British sniper gets two at 8120feet

Mon May 03, 2010 11:13 am

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... miles.html
A CRACK shot saved his Brit commander from two Taliban gunmen by shooting them dead from a world record MILE and a HALF away.

Hero sniper Craig Harrison, 35, nailed the killers with a rifle bullet each as the pair manned a machine gun - then for good measure let rip a third shot that took out their weapon.

His marksmanship was all the more amazing because the enemy were firing on his trapped troop leader from 3,000ft BEYOND his rifle's effective range.
That's nuts. I've fired at 900m (2953ft) and I'd have been lucky to get a person in 3 shots (no scope though) but this guys is over double that.

"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

rapier57
I've posted HOW many
Are you a Spammer: No

Re: British sniper gets two at 8120feet

Mon May 03, 2010 3:52 pm

It is amazing what the new gear can help a sniper do these days. Electronic scopes help account and adjust for wind speed and direction, atmospheric pressure and temp, all things that can affect accuracy at those ranges. Used to think that the capabilities in the M-1 tank firing system were something in the 80s. That allowed the M-1 to fire at moving targets while it as moving itself, and get first round hits/kills. Now you can get about the same capability in a sniper scope.

So, in 18 months we'll be able to ...
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57

Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Mon May 03, 2010 4:50 pm

Stop the flow of oil from a damaged deep water drilling site...

We (mankind) appear to have our priorities wrong :angry1:

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Mon May 03, 2010 6:00 pm

Or, have fail-safe systems that actually do?
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57

SirDice
I've posted HOW many

Mon May 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Morganlefay wrote:We (mankind) appear to have our priorities wrong :angry1:
Guns and oil. One buys the other and vice verse. And with one you can conquer the other.
At least that's my understanding of the 'priorities' :mrgreen:

Electronics aside, that's one hell of a shot (three actually).
Oliver's Law:
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Tue May 04, 2010 9:16 am

Morganlefay wrote:
Stop the flow of oil from a damaged deep water drilling site...

We (mankind) appear to have our priorities wrong :angry1:

MLF

We can do that easy. It just costs too much money so we don't bother.

The recommendation is to have multiple emergency stop valves on the riser. They had one and it ain't working.

But Obama is blaming the Brits as usual. It was a contracted rig owned and run by a US company (Transocean) based in Huston but you know BP was the customer and that whole slavery thing 300 years ago so blame the Brits.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Tue May 04, 2010 1:44 pm

And yes ...it was a very nice shot (s)

I am just crusty....everything is pissing me off right now

:angry1:

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Tue May 04, 2010 6:09 pm

Aspman wrote:
We can do that easy. It just costs too much money so we don't bother.

The recommendation is to have multiple emergency stop valves on the riser. They had one and it ain't working.

But Obama is blaming the Brits as usual. It was a contracted rig owned and run by a US company (Transocean) based in Huston but you know BP was the customer and that whole slavery thing 300 years ago so blame the Brits.
Semantics?
The CEO of BP is trying to get out in front of potential lawsuits by casting the blame for the Gulf oil spill squarely on the owner of the rig: Transocean. But in doing so in media interviews Monday, BP's Tony Hayward appears to have also gotten out in front of the known facts.

"It wasn't our accident," he told the Today Show on Monday. Pressed by anchor Meredith Vieira, Hayward claimed: "the drilling rig was a Transocean drilling rig. It was their rig and their equipment that failed, run by their people, their processes."

But oil industry experts tell TPMmuckraker that BP, as the lease operator on the Deepwater Horizon rig, most likely did have a role in decision-making aboard the drilling vessel. And six BP employees were on the rig when it exploded April 20.

Eleven workers died in the accident out of a total crew of 126 on the vessel. The crew was made up of not only Transocean and BP workers, but also subcontractors. The cause of the explosion that led to the spill is still unknown.
http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmemo.c ... cident.php

Stop valves or disconnect valves (non return) could have been set at various depths of pipe, the same method that is used at gas stations when a customer forgets to put the dispenser away and drives off with it...it's not expensive and because the safety issues were relaxed during the Oil men days in the Oval Office (Bush Sr and Bush Jr) that's where the blame should really be placed, either way BP are on the hook for billions, and yes you can expect the price for gas to go through the roof...thanks BP... :cool3:

At least the Canadians aren't getting blamed for this.... :mrgreen:

Oh yeah, excellent shooting by the Brit sniper, eclipsed the previous record held by a Canadian PPCLI...bravo Zulu.. :good:

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Tue May 04, 2010 7:17 pm

Professional Assassins will love this, they could kill their mark and leisurely get away long before anyone figures out where they were. :mrgreen:

jaymill230
UtterTazNutter

Sun May 16, 2010 12:19 am

by the way, the electric scopes that measure distance and wind are crap, and they don't use them. The bullet and powder design is what is truly amazing here, and yeah, 2000 yards is damn impressive.