Ubuntu Christian Edition

Where to go for Political chatter and gossip

Ubuntu Christian Edition

Postby Egaladeist » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:25 pm

Now...this could go in idle chat, other OS, news room, tech news, the cave,...but I settled for politics :D

Ubuntu Christian Edition is a free, open source operating system geared towards Christians. It is based on the popular Ubuntu Linux. Ubuntu is a complete Linux-based operating system, freely available with both community and professional support.

The goal of Ubuntu Christian Edition is to bring the power and security of Ubuntu to Christians. Ubuntu Christian Edition is suitable for both desktop and server use. The current Ubuntu release supports PC (Intel x86).

I suppose there will be a Buddhist, Moslem, Hindu, Baha'i, Tao, etc...versions coming soon :roll: :D

http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.com/c ... ition.html
Ubuntu Christian Edition: About Ubuntu Christian Edition
Last edited by Egaladeist on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Aspman » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:32 pm

I'm not interested unless it says mass for me on bootup.

Does Unbuntu normally come with Dans Guardian preconfigured? That might of interest to a of of people who might not be too bothered about the Bible study progs.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby J_K9 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:42 pm

Interesting... I'm not going to download it, but it is an interesting spin-off :) Let's see what happens to this series of projects!

I can see monks going to Dixons to buy PCs, and installing UCE on them :D

Asp - Ubuntu doesn't come with it preconfigured, but I think Edubuntu does (the version of *ubuntu for kids).
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]
J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Postby rapier57 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:50 pm

I pulled it down and burned the CD (just one!) and installed it as a VM. Works great. Just having trouble with the VMWare tools, as usual. They want specific kernel headers and all that. Just a mess with that.

May just give that up.

Nice clean, simple OS, though. Quick install and minimal setup. I'm going to play with it more tonight.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby THE Doctor » Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:36 am

I can see monks going to Dixons to buy PCs, and installing UCE on them

why just monks...?

why not nuns? whats wrong with mums and dads? (that is who the OS is targeted at)

Do you think that Monks are the only type of Christian..

I am Offended!
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Postby J_K9 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:52 am

und3rtak3r wrote:I am Offended!

Mission accomplished! :D

rapier - But isn't it just Ubuntu with a Christian spin on it (Bible programs, etc)? You see, I would download it, but it'd take quite a while on my little 128K connection! Hehe. I'm off to look for some screenshots ;)

[edit] Yup, Ubuntu with a Christian spin ;) http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slide ... 12&slide=4
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Postby outerlimit » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:50 pm

thats pretty interesting.
outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Postby llama love » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:35 pm

and in my day (wait it still is my day :? im only 19) we just read the bible....well I didnt cause im a bad christian......BAD LLAMA! BAD BAD LLAMA!
llama love
UtterTazNutter

Postby J_K9 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:32 am

LOL! I've come up with a new game, guys: Spank the Llama! All you have to do to participate is type --llamaspank-- :mrgreen: :P

I don't read the bible, but I'm a fairly good Catholic... I go to Mass about every other Sunday, and I do pray at night. So I like to think of myself as being bang in the middle :D

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Postby outerlimit » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:41 am

--llamaspank--
outerlimit
Holder of the rank Drunk Meister and BAR

Postby J_K9 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:55 am

Hehe! Pity Shipp hasn't implemented it yet though :mrgreen:

Rapier - was I right in saying that it's just Ubuntu with a few bible applications installed by default, or is there more than meets the eye to this spin-off? :)

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Postby Panama Red » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

I don't read the bible, but I'm a fairly good Catholic

That is an "oxymoron" ? tsk tsk, all Catholics read the bible, it's a passage, on your way to the confessional young man....(thank God I'm a Protestant hehehe)Image
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby J_K9 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:13 am

Pfft... What do you think I am, a devout one? Hell no! I don't go to Mass every Sunday, I don't pray every night (but try to), I'm not kind to everyone (nokia, I hate your guts :P), etc etc :D

And, no, it is not an oxymoron. I said I was a "good" Catholic. "Good" can mean many different things in that context! :D

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Postby rapier57 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:36 am

Yep, JK9_. Ubuntu with a Bible study package and a parental net-nanny thingie. Haven't looked to deeply into it yet. Runs nicely in a VM, though, and you have the usual access to Terminal. The standard install doesn't put much in the way of C compilers and such on the system, but includes full, new Perl.

I just got the update to VMWare last night, so I'll try adding the new version of VM Tools and see what's up.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby J_K9 » Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:43 am

rapier57 wrote:Ubuntu with a Bible study package and a parental net-nanny thingie.

DansGuardian? I haven't checked, but it seems to be a popular one :P
The standard install doesn't put much in the way of C compilers and such on the system, but includes full, new Perl.

None of the *ubuntus include gcc, make, etc. It's quite annoying, actually!

I wonder why it brings Perl though ;)

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Next

Return to Political Intrigue