Conversations on Congress

Where to go for Political chatter and gossip

Conversations on Congress

Postby catch » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:58 pm

Overheard:

PersonA "I can't believe the Democrats have taken control of Congress."
PersonB "They won in Congress too? I only heard about the House and the Senate."
A "I thought I heard that they controlled the Congress now too."
B "Great, they control all three, we're fucked."
A "Yeah, as if they have a clue how to run the contry."

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess
catch
Wankers Cramp - no - its from typing - HONEST

Postby Debs » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:06 pm

*snigger*

Wondered if anyone was going to bring this up or not.

Senate
House
Rumsfeld out, Gate in

Wonder what today will bring?
The post office just released a new stamp in the shape of a clitoris but it's not selling very well because only 3% of men know how to lick it.
Debs
Mrs. Drunky McDrunkpants

Postby catch » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:16 pm

Rumsfeld out

I guess he is hoping that if enough time passes before the shift in power can actually take place, maybe they'll forget to indict him?

Personally... I don't vote, but the fucking "robocalls" almost made me vote for the blue team. It is nice to have a two party system, three would still be ideal, but after six years of one party I'll settle for just about anything.

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess
catch

Postby Shippwreck » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:19 pm

For us non-americans... isn't congress made up of the house and senate, rather than being seperate from them both???

Man... US politics hurts my head!

I never really understood why you guys vote for people to run your states and those people in turn vote for the president... why not have the people just vote straight for the president??? Or have i got that wrong too???
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:
Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Postby Debs » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Yep, Congress is the House and the Senate combined - that was the point of catch's post. ;)

The thing about Rumsfeld's "resignation" is that it doesn't mean shit. It's not going to change anything, and the people who are so excited about it are simply falling for the old bait and switch routine. Woohoo, he's out - only to be replaced by "long-time Bush friend and supporter" Gate. Is anything going to actually change? Not likely.
The post office just released a new stamp in the shape of a clitoris but it's not selling very well because only 3% of men know how to lick it.
Debs
Mrs. Drunky McDrunkpants

Postby Vorlin » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:28 pm

We have the Senate and the House of Representatives.

We vote for those fools every few years but the presidency is voted on every four years and it's basically republican versus the democrats. We've got liberals and independents, but those'll never make it because the US is predominantly republican or democratic.

What I hate is that you never see these idiots unless it's voting time and then they're out like the black plague with literal thousands of signs all over the place. And this year, it was recorded to be the most negative as everyone was too busy slamming their opponent rather than actually saying what positive things they're going to do, etc.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby Shippwreck » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:29 pm

LOL,

I tell ya what, three aint much better! All that happens as has happened here is that it means you have three parties to hate as opposed to two!

I mean I don't like the current government, i think they have made a lot of crap desicions, but i equally dislike the other two as most of there policies imply equally crap desicions :roll:
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:
Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:31 pm

We've got 4 and it still sucks.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Panama Red » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:35 pm

I've lost count here in Canada, after the Rhino party, who is left....err right.. :shock: then there's the MJ Party...may get my vote next time.. :mad:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby catch » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:49 pm

I never really understood why you guys vote for people to run your states and those people in turn vote for the president... why not have the people just vote straight for the president??? Or have i got that wrong too???

That is correct... it originally started as a method of conducting elections over the rather large country, without telecommunications (plus there were some psychological issues at play with Americans being VERY sensitive to the idea of a powerful centralized government). However, it has one MAJOR flaw (the same flaw throughout the US government) an that is that people in rural areas have more say in the federal government than people in urban areas.

The reason is that each state gets one electoral vote for each of their members of Congress. The lower house of Congress (House of Reps), the number a state gets is relational to it's population, however EVERY state gets two Senators (Which right these means that rural states with populations around or even 1million get the same weight in the Senate as states like California with over 30million people) and because of this, each vote in rural states effectively have stronger votes than people in populous ones.

However, this also means that they people who benefit most from this also have the most power, so it'll never change. This is why I refer to the dems as the blue team... it is no longer politics but fandom. Americans don't want a just system, they merely want their team to win.

Personally, I know that no successful politicials give the slightlest care for the American people, they only care about special interest, thus the best government is a gridlocked government (this is why Clinton did so well and Bush so terribly).

But I digress, the American government is just fucked, and it won't get better without a reason, and outside of a revolution, I see no reason on the horizon.

Woohoo, he's out - only to be replaced by "long-time Bush friend and supporter" Gate. Is anything going to actually change? Not likely.

Exactly Debs... it is sad how many people don't understand such simple matters. Makes me want to blow my brains out on the best of days.

(Government and Information Security... fuck people's trivial understandings... grr) ;)

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess
catch

Postby catch » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:54 pm

I tell ya what, three aint much better! All that happens as has happened here is that it means you have three parties to hate as opposed to two!

Three more or less equal parties is ideal as it is the most stable. Two-thirds is required to do anything, which really hurts special interest and prevents parties from being too self-serving.

Relationships and tables are the same... three of anything is always the most stable because of how energy can be so compensatory without compromise.

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess
catch

Postby dinowuff » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:54 pm

Shippwreck wrote:Man... US politics hurts my head!

U.S. Politics? Dude, You have King/Queen, Prime minister. King/Queen can't do anything, the speaker of the house can't speak and everyone in the house of commons must sit a sword links away from... something.

U.S. Politics are easy. If their mouth is moving, the're lying.
Last edited by dinowuff on Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Postby Aspman » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:59 pm

Three more or less equal parties is ideal as it is the most stable.

We kinda had that in the Scottish Executive. But all that happens is that you get a 2 party coalition with a weak opposition and it's back to - same shit different day.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby catch » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:05 pm

We kinda had that in the Scottish Executive. But all that happens is that you get a 2 party coalition with a weak opposition and it's back to - same shit different day.

I've seen this, but they don't seem stable... two parties get together on one issue and two get together on a different issue, etc.

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess
catch

Postby Panama Red » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:08 pm

The only time our Government actually gets shit done is if it is a minority and is held up by the official opposition and that third party, cause the two of them can sway policy changes from the party in power...to me that's a good thing, but it's almost based upon the carrot and stick principle which can have it's drawbacks...sort of, if you allow this bill to go through, we''ll allow your's type deal making...

Pffft politics/politicians....it is all about cosmetics and not substance today...dress em up anyway you want, they still reek inside... :evil:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Next

Return to Political Intrigue