Anonymity

Where to go for Political chatter and gossip

Anonymity

Postby Harbinger » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:17 am

He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

I realize that in just about every news article I read online, that this sentence is somewhere to be found within the document. Now, I think it's good that the media gets information that people (anyone) might consider vital, but I can't help but be worried by it alittle bit.

If they can't keep these minor details confidential, then what about the large ones? We don't even know if informants are getting paid--we assume they arn't. SO if they give away confidential information freely, does that mean that the really sensetive information can be bought or simply asked for as well?
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Postby Egaladeist » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:31 am

It's my understanding that some of these media informants are paid for information they leak...and paid quite well I might add ;)

On one hand: they are like a cheater...they're virtually married to the Gov't ( they are sworn to secrecy and loyalty ) but are having an affair on the side...can we trust them? Probably about as much as anyone who cheats on their spouse ;)

On the other hand: if they didn't exist...we'd be in a lot of trouble...because to a certain extent they keep the Gov't in check...because they exist the Gov't knows that even sensitive information can get leaked...so...they are less inclined to do something that's going to cause a scandal or get them impeached or give them a nice long stay with Bubba at the local penitentiary ;) They know that someone is always looking over their shoulder and keeping notes. ;)

So...it's a toss up...we don't want people in Gov't who will sell information to the highest bidder...but at the same time we need them.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Elsparrow » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:24 pm

I'd rather have them, that way we know wtf the slimey bastards are up to (the gov't, not them)
Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Postby DaFoxx » Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:56 pm

and disinformation never ever enters your heads :P
just because it has been said doesn't mean it happened

the media have a tendency to hype stories because then it will sell

so everything I read, I tend to take with the proverbial pinch of salt
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Panama Red » Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:08 pm

DaFoxx wrote:and disinformation never ever enters your heads :P
just because it has been said doesn't mean it happened

the media have a tendency to hype stories because then it will sell

so everything I read, I tend to take with the proverbial pinch of salt

Absolutely, this is how Government's work, through Dis-information, it's an art form...opponents in Gov't will always try to squeal on the other side, sometimes Gov'ts fall because of a well timed "leak"...so and so is having an affair with a KGB officer....happened all the time during the cold war....course once the dust settled the damage had been done, irregardless of the facts...

And it's not just the game that Gov't's play it's all walks of life, how to sabotage your opponents credibility, I am sure high priced Law firms get in on the act.The hard part is trying to weed out the truth from the fiction... :mad:

What ticks me sometimes is the "convenience" of an unnamed source, it's the old confidentiality game, how does the courts deal with this is the tricky part... 8)
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Return to Political Intrigue