Fear as Russia readies nuke fuel for Iran

Where to go for Political chatter and gossip

Postby Egaladeist » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:01 pm

RUSSIA is to begin supplying Iran with nuclear fuel early next year despite mounting concern in the West that this could accelerate Tehran's plans to build a nuclear bomb.

Sergei Shmatko, head of Atomstroyexport, Russia's state nuclear fuel exporter, has said preparations to send fuel to Iran would start next month and the first shipment was expected to reach the Islamic republic by March.

The announcement has caused anxiety among Western countries trying to convince the Kremlin to end its nuclear co-operation with Tehran.

The concerns were strengthened yesterday when President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was reported to have told a Kuwaiti envoy that Iran was ready to transfer its nuclear technology to neighbouring countries.

The nuclear fuel is espected to be sent to Bushehr, Iran's first nuclear power station, which has been built by Russia over the past decade as part of a $1.1 billion contract with Tehran.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 77,00.html
Fear as Russia readies nuke fuel for Iran | Defence | The Australian
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby DaFoxx » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:26 pm

I'm more worried that an entire nuke power station can be built for only a billion

there HAS to have been some cost cutting
as the west is looking at the wrong end of 2 billion per station
to include infra structure and backup / safety
all those things the soviet never got around to
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Egaladeist » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:49 pm

Not exactly something we want Countries buying at bargain basement second-hand prices :D

Doesn't give you a real sense of security does it? :D
Egaladeist

Postby Kwiep » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:11 am

Russia (most of the people anyway) are dirt poor. If Iran is getting nukes, Russia might aswell make a buck out of it.

What is worrying I think is:
- Them russians really must be poor to not give a rats as about things like security anymore. If I have no food I won't give a shit about nukes either. If I'd happen to have one in that stuation I'd probably sell it too.
- The really poor people of Russia will probably not see a dime of this billion dollar contract.
Double Dutch
Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Postby Harbinger » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:37 am

I don't know if Russians care because I don't know if they make any choices. Putin isn't known for his ability to collaborate opinions.
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Postby DaFoxx » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:27 am

Russia is rolling in money
and always has been
just under communism it was a 'soft' currency
nowadays it is effectively US$ that run th ecountry and there is no shortage of them

but, as usual, the people get zip

also, remember on a national level, a billion is nothing

however, a billion here and a billion there, and pretty soon you are talking 'real money' :shock:
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Jinxy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:52 pm

Personaly I have no probs with Iran getting a second hand Chernoble.<sp?>
Jinxy
Uber Phreek

Postby Panama Red » Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:56 pm

Jinxy wrote:Personaly I have no probs with Iran getting a second hand Chernoble.<sp?>

Yeah, as long as the prevailing winds are alway's heading North.... :lol: :shock: (ooops and makes a right turn before heading over the Pole)
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Striek » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:35 pm

Jinxy wrote:Personaly I have no probs with Iran getting a second hand Chernoble.<sp?>

My thoughts exactly. Do I really want the only country to ever blow up a nuke plant to start selling them?
Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.
Striek
I hit my head again

Postby Jennifer The Dodo » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:02 am

i want to move to space. no nuclear facilities up there!
The Dodo Of Death Has Cometh!
Jennifer The Dodo
It's better than BEER, being here

Postby Kwiep » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:39 pm

After chernobyl everyone over here who grew their own vegetables was advised to throw them away because of the fallout that came with the wind. I'd rather not get sick because some guy didn't understand what he was doing on the other side of the planet.
Double Dutch
Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Postby Vorlin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:55 pm

Speaking of Chernobyl, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadows of Chernobyl anyone? (PC game out next March!!!)

Shameless plug aside, if Iran's getting nukes, then I say they get a nuke facility for a billion. It'll be a matter of time before a rod doesn't lower correctly and we'll have C2 or something to that effect. Maybe then the middle east will have something more to worry about than their freaking jihad against everyone that's not muslim. <rant off, sorry>

On the flip side, why not just freeze assets and prevent it?
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby Aspman » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:33 pm

We've still got some glow in the dark White n Wooly Sunday lunch on legs left from the Chernobyl fall out.

http://www.foodproductiondaily.com/news ... ioactivity

The Ruskies can do what the hell they want now, they've demonstrated that they have a new toy even better than ICBMs, it's a big OFF tap on the gas and oil pipelines heading west.

Anyone seen anything other than an "Angry Muslim" in the press. I think Islam needs to start to preach anger management and stress reduction.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Jinxy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:06 pm

Kwiep wrote:

After chernobyl everyone over here who grew their own vegetables was advised to throw them away because of the fallout that came with the wind. I'd rather not get sick because some guy didn't understand what he was doing on the other side of the planet.

I do apreciate the dangers of 'fallout', I trained to carry out radiac surveys, in another life......My post was meant to be some what tong in cheak ;)
Jinxy
Uber Phreek

Postby Egaladeist » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:25 pm

Well...all I can say is it's a good thing most of these guys are stupid...

you can more easily hide and transport and do a lot more damage and create a lot more paranoia with poisons and infectious diseases

imagine suicide bombers instead coming into the country filled with the worst most infectious diseases known to man and setting up shop in major city centers

or poisoning water supplies, etc...

sure they could nuke a city...bomb a building...people will be horrified...
but...
it's back to work the next day...life must go on.

A major city-wide plague and everything would stop dead in it's tracks...people would be afraid to go outside...afraid to come into contact with it or breathe the same air.

We are much more afraid of what we can't see than what we can.
Egaladeist

Next

Return to Political Intrigue