Stephen Colbert

Where to go for Political chatter and gossip

Stephen Colbert

Postby Harbinger » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:29 am

I was out of the country for awhile, so I hadn't seen this until about a week or two ago. I'm amazed nobody has posted about the Whitehouse Correspondant's Dinner. While Colbert's jokes were humorous, I had this intense feeling of unease while watching it.

Satire is one thing, accountability is another, and all public figures (espeically politicians) are subject to. However, is there no such thing as respect or common decency anymore? Jokes are acceptable, but it seemed to me more like he was directly insulting and mocking the President of the United States strait to his face in front of the entire world.

He may not be a personal favorite of mine, or a popular president by any means, but he's the F'n president of the USA--I think some reverence and respect are due. We've got alot of proud athiests and heretics in this forum that think the world is better off without God regardless of It's existance or not--but if confronted by such a being, would you mock them to their face?

Video 1 of 3
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:35 am

Colbert is like most shows I find...funny and interesting for the first 4-5 episodes then boring and a waste-of-time afterwards...

but that's just my tastes...when I want comedy I prefer stand-up...Club 54, Just for Laughs, etc...

haven't seen a sit-down comedy/talk show I've liked for more than the first few shows since Johnny Carson...

but that's just my own tastes. ;)

As for Bush cracks...etc...every President goes through the ringer...Nixon got picked on the worst...even years after his Presidency...Ford got the whip for his clumsiness, Carter for being a peanut farmer and for the Iran incident, Clinton in the sex scandal, Reagan got hit pretty hard, and Nancy too...

so...I really don't see Bush getting any worse than anyone else.

In my opinion...the best Presidents in my lifetime were Ford and Carter...they were probably the most honest and straightforward Presidents in the last 50 years...and they were the only 2 Presidents since Eisenhower that weren't involved in a war.
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Panama Red » Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:43 pm

The trick is to ascertain what is "satire" and what is insulting, I can go on for hours about those idiots at Fox news, O'Really and company or the other group at MSNBC, or even better the guy's and gals at CNN, but for me if I listen to Jon Stewart or Colbert it's obviously tongue in cheek.This stuff has been going on for years, Americans should really develop some thick skin (politicians that is), if you think they have it rough, you should watch some of the antics in the House of Commons or in our Parliament, or better yet watch the South Koreans debate (wear a helmet...:-) )

The fact the President can take it like a man, shows he is above it, does he cry at night in his pillow, only Mrs Bush or one of his aides would know.

And though I am not atheist, but agnostic, if I came face to face with the supreme being I would probably ask WTF took so long...besides he/she must have a sense of humour, they invented it right? :wink:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Elsparrow » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:20 pm

Bush has the same level of respect I give Saddam Hussein and Tony Blair. All 3 are responsible for mass murder, and Blair and Bush will always be the reason so many UK and US soldiers have died along with Iraqi civilians.

And if I was confronted by "God" (sorry don't believe in God, Jesus or anything to do with religion), I'd ask him to make another world in 7 days.
Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Postby Harry » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:54 pm

Iraqi insurgents are the reason so many troops have died............

I would ask the Great One for a million pounds and one night with Katie Melua...I've been asking every Sunday but I'm still waiting :sad:
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/
Harry
Site Admin

Postby Aspman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:35 pm

Elsparrow wrote:And if I was confronted by "God" (sorry don't believe in God, Jesus or anything to do with religion), I'd ask him to make another world in 7 days.

I'd tell him to take his time this time round.

And a couple of million quid and a night with <insert celebrity totty of the moment>
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby DaFoxx » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:42 pm

Bush has the same level of respect I give Saddam Hussein and Tony Blair. All 3 are responsible for mass murder, and Blair and Bush will always be the reason so many UK and US soldiers have died along with Iraqi civilians.

Ah !! the innocence of youth :P
it's a political world
sadman tried to play big boy games
and couldn't back down
in THIS world people die all the time

comparing democratically elected leaders of the 'free' world to the late and unlamented sadman is kinda weak, and just shows a lack of real world practicality

mind you, you DO support the Leafs, so maybe lost causes are your reson d'etre [sp] :P :)
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Panama Red » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:32 pm

DaFoxx wrote:mind you, you DO support the Leafs, so maybe lost causes are your reson d'etre [sp] :P :)

**cough** Ahem **cough** do you mind sir...something about throwing all the apples in the same barrel may apply here... :evil:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Egaladeist » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:40 pm

Disgruntled Leaf fan ^ :D :P
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Panama Red » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 pm

Egaladeist wrote:Disgruntled Leaf fan ^ :D :P

Yep 40yrs running :lol: :lol: :sad:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Vorlin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:11 am

< happy that the TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING WON THE STANLEY CUP AGAINST THE REDS!!!!!

*runs like hell* Nah, we got lucky, we really did....we're a HOT state, no chance to skate around on the streets and such....

Don't kill me, please! I was kidding! Not the face, not the face!
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Return to Political Intrigue