Star Wars Ethics

Where to go for Political chatter and gossip

Star Wars Ethics

Postby Harbinger » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:44 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070315/ap_ ... r2_d2_mail

It looks as if the US government is now ready to sponser a specific commercial brand? 400 US mailboxes are going to be covered to resembled R2-D2 for some sort of Star Wars anniversary spectacular.

Now, my first thought even before reading the article is that the USPS is desperate for postage and this is a ploy to get people to "Feed R2-D2" or some lame crap like that. However, it raises and interesting ethical question.

I thought it was illegal for the government to endorse private enterprises. They can aide industry sectors, but never specific capital venues or even charities I believe. This is why we don't see the Nike & McDonald's logos on USA military vehicles and aircraft.

Soooo....what changed?
"I am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken."
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Postby Aspman » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:59 am

You have McDonalds / Coke sponsored schools over there, I'd say that is 10x worse than an R2D2 post box.

Kids being force fed corporate propaganda in order for the school to get a few '000 $ that should have been paid out by the Gov anyway.

They occasionally try to that here but have been shot down so far.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby llama love » Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:51 pm

Aspman wrote:You have McDonalds / Coke sponsored schools over there, I'd say that is 10x worse than an R2D2 post box.

Kids being force fed corporate propaganda in order for the school to get a few '000 $ that should have been paid out by the Gov anyway.

They occasionally try to that here but have been shot down so far.

Heehee I had a big argument with the people at my old school when they put ads for boybands and mobile phones up around the place. They wouldnt do anything about it (money > morals it seems) so a group of us made our own adverts :D
llama love
UtterTazNutter

Postby Timaxe » Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:34 am

On the sponsored school topic...my university is now a coke free zone. Pepsi bought out the rights to sell on the entire university property (for $212,000 a year), and there can't a hint of the competition anymore. I think a few living groups even had to give up their coke vending machines since not all of them are fortunate enough to own their own property.

It hasn't stopped people from getting ahold of Rum & Coke though. But since the pepsi lineup is diversified now, I can at least find something to drink. Mainly iced teas or other juices (SoBe, etc) if I need some sugar at 2:00am...

As far as the post office...they've been trying to sell all sorts of NASCAR merchandise around here for ages. Hasn't been successful. Which is probably why it is still on display. Just another item along with increasing stamp prices and selling other merchandise on the list of things to do to remain profitable/operable...

But it is kinda crazy that they get to decorate their own boxes with advertising while making it illegal to have advertising on your own mailbox or even anything attached to your mailbox's support "Any advertising on a mailbox or its support is prohibited". [DMM 508, Section 3.2.5 & 3.2.11]
Timaxe
Hmmm, should I post some more ?

Postby Kwiep » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:35 am

The dutch mail got privatised. Now there's post stamps with unox worst (sausage brand) and stuff like that.
Double Dutch
Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Return to Political Intrigue