Pilots told to consider kamikaze flights

Where to go for Political chatter and gossip

Postby Egaladeist » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:58 am

to the Japanese, to them they were at war, and they were at it long before Dec 7 1941, so they had hardened troops/experienced in the ways of what we perceive as "brutality".

But unlike the Nazi's they didn't set out to commit genocide on another race (Jews)

Actually the Japanese a few years back, maybe two decades ago, tried to re-write their history...the Chinese protested and stopped it...
the Japenese throughout history used to ' hunt ' the Chinese and bring back their heads as trophies...it was ' sport ' ...during the war they were equally brutal...and constricted 10's of 1000's of Korean women against their will to act as prostitutes for the Japanese fighting men.

Perhaps not on the level of genocide...but...not unlike the Nazi's either...at least in brutality. ;)
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Egaladeist » Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:17 am

apparently they've been at it again recently...a little Google and...

Japan faces storm over 'rewriting' war history

The book removes all mention of the Japanese military’s use of Chinese and Korean women as sex slaves, plays down the death toll of the 1937 Nanjing Massacre in China and simplifies descriptions of Chinese and Korean workers being forcibly shipped to Japan during the Second World War.

The South Korean Foreign Ministry said that the chapter dealing with Japan’s prewar imperial record amounted to a “serious distortion of history”.

It questioned “whether it will be possible for future generations to forge ahead in the direction of peace, coexistence and co-operation”.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/w ... 377730.ece
Japan faces storm over 'rewriting' war history-News-World-TimesOnline
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Postby Panama Red » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:22 pm

Don't get me wrong I am in no way defending what the Japanese leadership were responsible for, what I am saying is, the Japanese and all of the other Asian nations that lie on the Pacific rim, have a very long history of wars against each other, the Chinese were no saints nor were the Burmese or Saimese,(thai's)...the very region is steeped in conflict, more so then Europe.

My point is that the Japanese as brutal as they were, were very pragmatic about it because to them it is the way, the Japanese soldier never showed cowardice in the face of the enemy, the Nazi's played both sides of the coin, when the Soviets were approaching Berlin, the Germans gave themselves up to the Allies because they knew full well that the Soviets would take out retribution for what the Nazi's did to their people.

I understand that Japan is very much racist and so is France.The UK could be considered just as racist (island) but they allowed mass immigration after the wars, so now they get to deal with it as they should.

Propaganda and culture are two seperate things, the way the Japanese were raised as children was in a very strict environment, my old man comes from a very Victorian environment (kids today couldn't cope), they understood loyalty and honour, they treated their enemies with disdain, if you surrendered to them they considered you a coward and in a warrior culture that has meaning, one of the reasons they treated POWs the way they did.

The upper echelons are the ones that brainwashed the masses to fear the Allies and their responses, but it's no different then the way the US or UK propaganda machine portrayed the Jap's as evil little yellow men with slanty eyes, I'm sure you have heard the references, bigotry isn't the sole claim of the loser's here.

Yes Eg, they are guilty of revisionist history writing, they aren't alone, that is why it's a good thing to alway's remember and teach history or read it.

As for comparing the two Japan and Germany, the Japanese weren't out to become the "master race", like I said they have historical reasons for having these conflicts amongst the Chinese and other's, China has for centuries tried to conquer Japan, but their Navy sucked and Japan's were better...kinda like the UK eh! see the similarities, everyone was trying to pick a fight with England...

The Nazi's were the embodiment of "evil", it was a political decision to try and wipe out another race, not a strategic or battlefield decision, there were no resources to be had, there were no territory to claim in conquest, just a progrom to eliminate the impure....the Japanese just did what they had been doing for centuries, and that is fight their historical enemies, their mistake was taking on America, they whipped the English/Canadian/Australian troops in the area, now if England wasn't busy trying to keep their heads above water, it may have turned out differently, regardless the Japanese made a huge tactical error, I would bet that if they had of left the US alone, they would be left alone and maybe the English would be talking German now instead of English, so in reality we can actually thank the Japanese for being so stupid... :wink:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby DaFoxx » Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:52 pm

Harbinger wrote:A surprising detail about Japanese culture, is that while they are very nice people these days a great deal of them are subtly racist. They have like a 98% homogenous population. Difficult to avoid these kinds of things.

yet according to DNA sampling, the japanese are descended from the Koreans, which didn't go down too well in a country that looks down on ALL it's neighbouring states, ESPECIALLY the Korean's

Interestingly, the research of the Genographic Project tells us that most of the paternal ancestors of the present-day ethnic Japanese come from all over Asia. Many, however, do not have the same gene that I have which indicates an origin of somewhere aside from central China, such as Southeast Asia or the Korean Peninsula.

Some conservative elements in Japanese society take pride in the alleged homogeneity of the Japanese "race," and ardent nationalists and racists look disparagingly upon other ethnic groups. Such DNA results should make them think twice about what they say or think about themselves or about other peoples.

If we employ notions of racial superiority, look down upon other ethnic groups or consider them as "others," we are in effect insulting our ancestors, who traveled far and wide over tens of thousands of years under unimaginably harsh conditions to get to where we are now.

We may be Japanese according to notions of ethnicity and citizenship, but genetics tells us beyond doubt that we are all related to the peoples of China, Korea and the rest of Asia. And, ultimately, all of us in the human race are Africans.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/09/07/ ... dunoki.php
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Harbinger » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:35 pm

I would put alot of stock into that information. I used to be able to tell the difference between Japanese and Koreans while I lived there, but since I got back to the US it's been much more difficult to tell. It's rather embarassing when you start talking to a Korean in Japanese....Most of the foreign exchange students that are Korean certainly don't help me out in that they cling to alot of Japanese pop culture and fashion trends, not to mention spend time with them here in the USA too (oddly enough).

I'm just appreciative that I'm not like most of my friends whom are so poor at discerning Asian features, that they can't even really tell a Thai or Cambodian person from a Mongol.
"I am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken."
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Postby Vorlin » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:41 am

One thing about the japanese is that they stopped teaching about the WW2 involvement after the war. Even though they have a single city block remaining in the same form it was when it got blitzed by the nuclear bomb... There have been high school groups that have gone to Hawaii and have seen the USS Arizona, sunk in water, with 1200 remaining naval soldiers and they know not what's gone on... Why? Because Japan, as a country, prevented the knowledge of WW2 get out to those who don't know.
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.
Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Postby APplle » Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:33 pm

The "war on terror" stoops to a new low
APplle
Just beginning to get the hang of it

Postby Harbinger » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:08 pm

Vorlin wrote:Because Japan, as a country, prevented the knowledge of WW2 get out to those who don't know.

Seeing as how this was oddly ressurected, I was reminded of something funny. Apparently there was this Japanese soldier who lived inside his personal dugout bunker in the Philipine jungles for over 30 years after the war had ended. He said that he did in fact see the pamphlets saying that the war was over, and Japan had lost--but he surmized them to be a hoax to goad him into capture/death. Surprise! You just wasted your entire life! Ouch...at least he was hailed as something like a hero for a brief moment though....lol.
"I am never wrong. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken."
Harbinger
Aspiring Anti-Christ

Postby llama love » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:11 pm

Harbinger, I heard they even got his dad and whoever was incharge of him to try and find him but he thought they were just recordings :?
llama love
UtterTazNutter

Postby Kwiep » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:16 am

See the little jeep on the ground? Now fly into it at mach 2.
Double Dutch
Kwiep
Field Marshal Von Uber Tazmaniac

Previous

Return to Political Intrigue