need help, I feel like an idiot :(

Please make your first post here, and familiarize yourself with TAZ Forums by taking a moment and reading the stickies. Spank-you...errr....thank-you...and enjoy your stay!

need help, I feel like an idiot :(

Postby weirdo7118 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Ok, this question is probably going to sound so dumb to all u hackers out there, when I read some of the stuff on this site I realized just how little I know about all this. Well here goes, I've been using my neighbors wifi to stream netflix on my nintendo wii bc I just moved in and I don't have yet or can't afford cable. My problem is the connection is garbage, it cuts out all the time and the past few days the network disappears around 8 at night. I can detect a very strong optimum hot spot in my apartment that according to everything I can see is unlocked. For some reason my wii will not connect to the network. I even have a sign in name and password from my moms optimum account to be able to use the optimum wifi anywhere but there is no way to bring up the optimum log in screen even if u got on the internet channel. If anyone knows how I can get my wii onto the optimum network PLEASE help me out. THANX!
weirdo7118
Wannabee

Re: need help, I feel like an idiot :(

Postby rapier57 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:39 pm

The crappy connection and timeouts is due to bandwidth use. Your neighbor may or may not know that you are using his/her service and is setting priority to his/her own devices. Or, your neighbor may be trying to figure out how to improve their own access by moving the wireless router around his/her apartment. Another possibility is that your access has been discovered and the MAC you use has been blocked on their router, or the router is now configured to only allows specific device MACs to access.

The best solution is to get your own internet service.

Based on your disclosure, you may want to check the local laws as to the consequences for unauthorized access to your neighbor's internet access. Some states make this a misdemeanor and it can follow you around for a long time.

Hope that helps.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby weirdo7118 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:13 am

I understand that using someone I don't knows wifi network isn't exactly the right thing to do. Right now I need to do it or I have no television at all. Also use of all optimum wifi hotspots is included in their package. I have a login name and password that I can use whenever an optimum network is detected and I should be able to use that network. My wii detects the optimum network which clearly shows up as unlocked and green (good signal) but when I run a connection test it is unable to connect to the internet. I can select the "use this connection" option when it finds the optimum network and go to the wii's internet "channel" usually optimums login page automatically pops up but it just says that it needs an internet connection to run. It is perfectly legal for me to use the optimum network I just cannot find a way to connect to it.
weirdo7118
Wannabee

Postby rapier57 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:25 am

Based on what I see on the Optimum web site, you may have your Mom's ID and password, but your system may not be on the allowed list? Just guessing. Next time you are on a system with access, check the site. There is a "Manage My Devices" link. You sure Momma didn't cut you off?

;-)
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Postby DaFoxx » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:05 pm

weirdo7118 wrote:Also use of all optimum wifi hotspots is included in their package.

I seriously doubt that a neighbours home Wi/Fi classes as a 'hotspot'
it is classed as theft, so be careful, and get your own www setup ASAP

as for it dropping after set times at night, some people actually turn it OFF :shock:
which in itself is another reson to see that it isn't a hotspot, it is a PRIVATE set up, just because they haven't set it up to keep you out, is NO defence

weirdo7118 wrote:I have a login name and password that I can use whenever an optimum network is detected and I should be able to use that network.

as stated earlier, you are using your moms account, so she is going to be royally pissed when HER account gets chopped for YOUR shenanigins
so you don't have TV, it isn't the end of the world, no honestly, it isn't, open your curtains, there IS life 'out there' :D

short version
stop stealing the neighbours bandwidth, they can call in all sorts of legal help, you cannot
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby weirdo7118 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:05 pm

The optimum hot spot is a completely different network. What Im saying is I'm using my neighbors wifi that I can get onto but I live right on a highway with stores surrounding me and there is an optimum hot spot that all my devices can detect and get onto using my optimum login except for my wii. My wii detects it as an open network but will not connect. The manage devices part on the optimum website only let's u register a device once its already connected using ur log in because it can then detect the device. I am trying to get off my neighbors wifi and onto an optimum hotpot. I understand using my neighbors wifi is the wrong thing to do. If everyone would please stop criticizing what I am doing and actually help me get my wii onto this optimum network I wouldn't be using someone elses wifi anymore and there would be no issue. Im sorry if that sounded a bit rude but the whole point of my question was so I can get off my neighbors wifi asap.
weirdo7118
Wannabee

Postby chaosclown » Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 pm

I don't think the Wii supports pppoe(which allows you to input a username and password for your network) so your S.O.L there, so your best bet is to share your internet connection from you computer (assuming you do have a PC or laptop with a working Ethernet port) to the Wii. Shouldn't too hard, depending on your operating system.

Edit:

so the Wii doesn't have an Ethernet port, however we can still make this work. You will need to buy a wireless router which we will in turn make your very own hotspot using the same method I described above.
chaosclown
DaJoker

Postby dinowuff » Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:04 pm

Just incase don't let anyone tell you that the wii lan card is all you need. It doesn't support PPPoE either!

Clown man is correct. If you have a laptop with wireless - you can set it up as a relay for your wii.

If you don't have a computer... You'll just have to keep on stealing your neighbors. Be warned. Since you're watching netflix on your wii, your neighbors will notice a "slow down" with their internet service. At some point some help desk tech will teach them how to secure their wireless.
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Postby chaosclown » Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:01 am

There's always the "cantenna" method, cheap solution for improving the signal strength of wireless adapters. Perfect for looking for those open wifi networks.
chaosclown
DaJoker

Return to Introduction Room