Hello all

Please make your first post here, and familiarize yourself with TAZ Forums by taking a moment and reading the stickies. Spank-you...errr....thank-you...and enjoy your stay!
J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:51 am

LOL

It wasn't the case - it was the £$%^&*&^ fans! :D

And I bought a good case... One of those Akasa ones :P No, it didn't have fan brackets... Because if there had been there would have been one directly over the motherboard :roll:

:D

"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:10 pm

That took me ages, and my hands were blistered at the end of it.

Blackadder II - Potato:
Rum: Aaaaaaahrrrrr Aaaaaaahrrrrr Aaaaaaaaaaahrrrrr. Me laddy.
Blackadder: Ah-haah-ah, indeed. So, Rum, I wish to hire you and your ship. Can we
shake on it? [holds out hand]
Rum: aah-ahhh! [strokes his hand] You have a woman's hand, milord! I'll wager these
dainty pinkies never weighed anchor in a storm.
Blackadder: Well, you're right there.
Rum: Ha ha ha. -Aah! Your skin milord. I'll wager it ne'er felt the lash of a cat 'o' nine tails,
been rubbed with salt, and then flayed off by a pirate chief to make fine stockings for his best
cabin boy.
Blackadder: How uncanny, I don't know how you do it, but you're right again.
Awwwww poor little pirate
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

EricTheRed
Just beginning to get the hang of it

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:02 pm

Thanks for all of the greetings everyone.

J, do you understand the concept of insulators vs conductors? Plastic stands off make a good insulator while the solder bumps on the bottom of your mother board in direct contact with the metal case make a good conductor, sorting out everythink once power is applied. Butcher paper, while it may work at first, will eventually fail due to the fact that the vibrations (fans, HD, etc...) will cause the little bumps on the bottom of the motherboard to wear thru the paper, eventually. I say next time, you just go to Fry's and ask them to wrap the mother board up in aluminum foil and install it that way.

Ok, enough said. I am sure that you already learned about how metal will conduct electricity.

(by the way, I hate Fry's)

-Eric

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:18 pm

Love that avatar :D

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:20 pm

I'd have thought that Catch's suggestion of paper as an insulator would leave the board too low to fit the back plate. Not sure how you managed it JK with nothing in place.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:23 pm

Aspman wrote:Awwwww poor little pirate
Thanks for the sympathy, Asp :P
EricTheRed wrote:J, do you understand the concept of insulators vs conductors?
I never was a fan of patronization :roll:

For the record - I do understand that concept. It was a simple mistake; if you had taken a while to get off your high horse, you might have realised that :roll:

Welcome anyway.

[edit] Asp - I managed it because I'm a pr0^ :mrgreen: ;)
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

EricTheRed
Just beginning to get the hang of it

Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:40 pm

J, just poking a little fun. I have read your other posts and I do realize that it was a mistake. No harm intended. :oops:

I am sure that I will have to own up to mistakes of my own eventually too.
-Eric

DaFoxx
DaBOSS
Are you a Spammer: No

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:08 pm

don't worry about JK
he's just pi55ed cos Nokia's managed to keep him out of an undefended box by password protection alone :P

I guest you weren't reading ALL of Nokia's posts :D
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :shock:

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:15 pm

I never was a fan of patronization
Yeah me neitherImageImage

catch
Wankers Cramp - no - its from typing - HONEST

Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:52 pm

J, do you understand the concept of insulators vs conductors? Plastic stands off make a good insulator while the solder bumps on the bottom of your mother board in direct contact with the metal case make a good conductor, sorting out everythink once power is applied. Butcher paper, while it may work at first, will eventually fail due to the fact that the vibrations (fans, HD, etc...) will cause the little bumps on the bottom of the motherboard to wear thru the paper, eventually. I say next time, you just go to Fry's and ask them to wrap the mother board up in aluminum foil and install it that way.
Wow, hmm...

First, every motherboard I've ever seen that had stands, had metal ones.

Second, I am not sure what kind of magic fingers motherboards you have but mine don't vibrate in any appreciable manner. Accordingly one such system that used the butcher paper method was live for nearly eight years without incident and without significant hardware modification (adding/removing drives). And none of my other systems have ever had a problem, anecdotal? Sure. But everything that vibrates is away from the board.

Nearly all mounting panels have raised areas where the mounting screws go... so even if no insulation is used, you are not assured a burnt board, only if the soldering tolerances on the board are more relaxed than ideal.

cheers,

catch
Proud Nubian Princess

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:55 am

EricTheRed wrote:J, just poking a little fun. I have read your other posts and I do realize that it was a mistake. No harm intended. :oops:
Not a problem. I'm really not that nasty :mrgreen: {So I'd like to believe, anyway}

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:13 am

Yes ^ he^ is...nasty! :D

Opps! :oops: I thought you meant ' Nasty ' as in...likes to do the Nasty...mybad... :oops: :D

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:41 am

Egaladeist wrote:Opps! :oops: I thought you meant ' Nasty ' as in...likes to do the Nasty...mybad... :oops: :D
Ahem!

Apologise, Eg! I WILL take out the whore hand, and I will NOT fail to give you a damn good spanking if you don't take that back :mrgreen:

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:33 am

Egaladeist wrote:I thought you meant ' Nasty ' as in...likes to do the Nasty...mybad... :oops: :D
Nah he's too young for that :lol:
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:34 am

Bad Shipp! /spanks Shipp

Now you will face the punishment :D

10 lashes :whip:

And now, we shall hang you ;) :mrgreen: