Hola to me too

Please make your first post here, and familiarize yourself with TAZ Forums by taking a moment and reading the stickies. Spank-you...errr....thank-you...and enjoy your stay!
Mac'd UP
It's better than BEER, being here

New Mac User

Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:54 pm

Hello everybody, I am so glad to find a forum that is a true information hub of activity. I wish I would have found this site earlier when I was banging my head off my IBM PC....but all is well that ends well, because like the name states I am now all "Mac'd UP"
I am now the proud owner of a iMac OSX desk top with Tiger operating system, and a macbook. (Everything is pretty much idiot proof...even ME proof)
However, I am now more intrested in learning more about the possibilities of what I can do. My intrests lie in video editing and photography.
If anyone out there has the time and YES patience to teach me or talk with me that would be awesome.
Rightnow I am trying to understand and wrap my mind... and my macs mind around the wireless concept. LOL

Lisa

To be a great leader you must first know how to follow.

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:14 pm

Welcome to the TAZ Mac'd UP

There are some loony's floating around and some who can help you out with your questions...how's the humidity up there in Trenton... :lol:

DaFoxx
DaBOSS
Are you a Spammer: No

Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:26 am

Hola guapa

welcome aboard
this thread split from grunt's effort

give you your own bit of Taz :D
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:

Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:45 am

Maybe he is The Grunt?! ;)

After all...he had to dig to revive this thread ;)

Eg ;)

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:09 am

Looneys, where where, let me at em, [dribble] i'm not crazy, me noooooooo... Puters, mmm yes puters, they taste nice... ohhh and running your tongue up a screen, oohhhhh nice and tingly with static... mmmmm static nice...

:wink:
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:26 am

Get back to work Cabinboy!

I am your Boss!!

In fact I'm about to come out of my office with another meaningless task for you to do. Just you wait!

Go get me a coffee.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:53 pm

Um, can we at least say hello to the lovely lady? :D

Welcome, Lisa! So, you want to learn about wireless networks? No problem - we're here to help!

The HowStuffWorks article looks pretty good: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/wireless-network.htm
I was going to suggest Wikipedia, but I took a look at it and it is NOT the kind of article you need ;)

As for video and image editing, give us a holler if you want some advice! There's The GIMP to edit images - it's free, and quite good. I use both the GIMP and Macromedia Fireworks 8 (it's commercial though, and can be purchased from http://adobe.com), and also Photoshop Elements 4.0 from time to time (also available from Adobe).

As for video editing, I don't think there's much in the freeware sector... At least, not powerful video editors. However, I've heard that Adobe Premiere 2.0 (you know where to get it :P) is excellent, as is Apple's Final Cut Pro.

However, both your Macs should have brought iLife, so you'll already have access to a pretty good video editor! Download and install the GIMP, and that alongside iMovie HD make for a good newbie's editing suite :D

HTH :)
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:02 pm

J_K9 wrote:Um, can we at least say hello to the lovely lady? :D
Oh yeah, hiya ;)

Taz is a hotbed of meandering threads leading to many an oxbow lake of surrealism.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:40 pm

Aspman wrote:Taz is a hotbed of meandering threads leading to many an oxbow lake of surrealism.
Nice sentence... Into the Quotes thread it goes! :P

But, yes, the TAZ consists of a series of off-topic threads...

I hate Marmite. :D
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

Shippwreck
I've posted HOW many

Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:54 pm

Yeah we're not that scary really...

Welcome and enjoy :D
Google is god... of the internet :mrgreen:

Mac'd UP
It's better than BEER, being here

Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:52 am

Hi Dalek, thanks I think I already found 1 or 2 loonies but everybody needs some form of entertainment sometimes. LOL. Life is to short to not have a laugh so big that milk comes out your nose. The humidity here isn't so bad now that it finally rained, I wouldn't want to be in Winnipeg though, I have a hard enough time keeping my feet on the ground without hurricans and stuff. LOL

Hi da Foxx, what do you mean the thread split from grunts effort? keep it simple I am new and yes a little slow, but but I have a whole new meaning for TAZ. TAZ is our EOD masscott across Canada along with GUY FOX of course.

Hi Egadeist. Whats the matter with grunts? Some of my best friends are grunts...LOL...tells ya what kind of friends I keep, and why I am not the computer genius most here at TAZ probable are.

Hi Shippwreck. Where do you think you wanna sail to tonight maybe to a little place called neverland? with the dark angle and her pink fluffy horse? I hear horses float...I hear "they all float down here"

Don't worry cabin boy I now the true meaning of meaninless tasks...Hurry up!...Wait. Snow shoes on!...snow shows off. will it ever end

J_K9, thank you very very much, I went to the site howstuffworks and it seems simple enough, however I am still having problems finding the "hot spots" Every server/network I find (even in big cities) want/need a password, is there a way that I can I don't know maybe be n another city and hook up to these hot spots. I am wondering if maybe my macbook is configured wrong or if I have to reconfigure it when I change locations. Both of my computers just found the internet conection I was using at home.
Again J_K9 thank you
Its amazing how you guilted the rest into being nice. LOL your awesome.

:cheers:
Lisa

:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb: :bomb:

GO BIG OR GO HOME!
To be a great leader you must first know how to follow.

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:09 am

Mac'd UP wrote:Hi Shippwreck. Where do you think you wanna sail to tonight maybe to a little place called neverland? with the dark angle and her pink fluffy horse?
Ooh... His wife's not going to be too pleased about that :mrgreen: ;)
J_K9, thank you very very much, I went to the site howstuffworks and it seems simple enough, however I am still having problems finding the "hot spots" Every server/network I find (even in big cities) want/need a password, is there a way that I can I don't know maybe be n another city and hook up to these hot spots.
Well, there are two different types of networks you may be encountering.

The first type is a home network, SOHO (small office home office) network, or corporate network. These will usually be encrypted (although home users tend to slack slightly on this), as they do not want unauthorised people (like yourself ;)) to connect.

The second type is a public hotspot. These are almost always unencrypted - however, when you try accessing the internet you will come across a login screen (again, most of the time), and you will probably need to pay for a card to use the internet for an hour. On that card will be a number and password (this depends on the hotspot), and you can use those details to log in and use the connection for the amount of time you paid for.
I am wondering if maybe my macbook is configured wrong or if I have to reconfigure it when I change locations. Both of my computers just found the internet conection I was using at home.
You MacBook should be configured fine - as long as Airport is turned on, you shouldn't have a problem. If you want, I'll record a video of my brother's MacBook Pro joining our home network (but it is WPA-encrypted).
Again J_K9 thank you
No problem! :D
Its amazing how you guilted the rest into being nice. LOL your awesome.
Wow... Now I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy inside :mrgreen:

Did you hear that guys? I'm awesome. None of that prancing pirate stuff :P Hehe!

Lisa, if you have any more questions, please fire away ;)

Harry
Site Admin

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:01 pm

Whats a MAC?? Do you mean you have one of those long numbers that an ethernet card has?? :?

:D :D
Last edited by Harry on Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system..

TAZ's better half: http://www.theadminzone.com/

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:09 pm

STFU you Windows zealot :mrgreen:

dinowuff
I've posted HOW many
Are you a Spammer: No
Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:33 pm

mac'ed up

MACs SUCK

Windows rule

/lets start a discussion and I'll move this to idle chat of the Grave Yard

every forum must have this debate
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0