Say hello ac

Please make your first post here, and familiarize yourself with TAZ Forums by taking a moment and reading the stickies. Spank-you...errr....thank-you...and enjoy your stay!
Egaladeist
I am the Eg man : Coo Coo Ca Choo

Sat Oct 14, 2006 5:08 pm

All school systems are somewhat flawed...most of what I learned in school will never apply to my employment or life in general...I know where Andorra is on a map, the difference between an Isosceles and a Scalene triangle, how a vacuum works and how to create a bell experiment, how to multiply 2367x4569 in my head, the metamorphosis of a caterpillar to a butterfly...etc...none of which I will ever use in real life except to play Trivial Pursuit...

none of which I will ever apply to my job or my life.

However...that being said...the purpose of school really is not to teach you what you need to know...

it is to teach you how to think. ;)

You can teach a monkey to push buttons...but you need to learn to think about what buttons to push. ;)

Think of this useless learning as mind training...training the mind to think...what you learn is not as important as the development of your own mind.

ac
Probie

Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:48 pm

The thing that really pissed me off at school was the fact that English was compulsory, but Maths was optional (I think they made it like that the year that I started my Highers). I just figured that if I was going to have to spend a year basically memorising passages from books, plays and poems, some unlucky fuckers should be bloody well forced to suffer doing Maths.

I used to enjoy English until school forced me to do it :P

ac

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:04 pm

ac wrote:I just figured that if I was going to have to spend a year basically memorising passages from books, plays and poems, some unlucky fuckers should be bloody well forced to suffer doing Maths.
HAHA!

I agree :D

But both English and Maths are compulsory here.. Hey, at least I like Maths (although the teacher bores me to death :?).

I used to like English until I was forced to compare poems :P :D
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

[CS:Source Admin]

Mac'd UP
It's better than BEER, being here

Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:30 pm

The guy just took that imaginary rule out of his proverbial ass
That almost sounds like Basic Training.

If this whole academic thing doesn't work out for ya, you can always join your military, cause you will already be used to following dumb rulz that nobody knows the meaning of thier existence.

example;
you are not allowed to smoke
200m from explosives.

Rule was put in place when the military was still using gun powder. LOL
To be a great leader you must first know how to follow.

Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:52 pm

J_K9 wrote:
ac wrote:I just figured that if I was going to have to spend a year basically memorising passages from books, plays and poems, some unlucky fuckers should be bloody well forced to suffer doing Maths.
HAHA!

I agree :D

But both English and Maths are compulsory here.. Hey, at least I like Maths (although the teacher bores me to death :?).

I used to like English until I was forced to compare poems :P :D
English and maths were compulsary up to Standard grade when I was at school as was a science (you had to pick 1 or take general science).

English could be boring or it could be very interesting.

I had to study Shakespear once which was a feckin chore.
But I was able later to study a book of my own choice which was a by Jimmy Boyle. A really interesting book which I was able to critique. We also studies the WW 1 poetry of Siegfried Sassoon and Wilfred Owen which is really gory and gritty and a world away from some of the really boring crap you get forced into.

they should give you more choice then it would be more interesting and everyone would find it more interesting.

We also studies Norman MacCaig who actually came to the school to read to us. He died a couple of years later. His work is a lot more difficult than Owen or Sassoon but a lot better then some. It's quite dark, I suppose that appealed to our youthful angst.

Eg is right about school and Uni teaching you how to think rather than anything specific. That's the reason why graduates are in demand.
They are generally more intelligent, pick up principles more quickly and are more flexible in their thinking.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:08 pm

However at Uni the only thing I have picked up so far is a fucking chest infection, spent a week on lemsip and strepsils (also have a cold and did have a sore throat) and assumed the cough was part of the cold.

Register with my new doctors yesterday, free healthcheck, mentioned the cough to the nurse and she said it could be a chest infection and booked me into an appointment.

Turns out it is an infection, am on 3 antibiotics a day, for a week.

Finally beginning to feel a little bit better thank god, I wanna go out and party :(

Panama Red
I come Unseen

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:18 pm

Elsparrow wrote:However at Uni the only thing I have picked up so far is a fucking chest infection, spent a week on lemsip and strepsils (also have a cold and did have a sore throat) and assumed the cough was part of the cold.

Register with my new doctors yesterday, free healthcheck, mentioned the cough to the nurse and she said it could be a chest infection and booked me into an appointment.

Finally beginning to feel a little bit better thank god, I wanna go out and party :(
Now would be a good time to take those things out of your nose then Els... :lol:

Elsparrow
In with the out crowd

Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:31 pm

Wibble :mad:

llama love
UtterTazNutter
Are you a Spammer: No

Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:44 pm

Elsparrow wrote:However at Uni the only thing I have picked up so far is a fucking chest infection, spent a week on lemsip and strepsils (also have a cold and did have a sore throat) and assumed the cough was part of the cold.

HA! No freshers flu for the llama :D :P

I though English, Science and Maths were compulsory nation wide, at least it is in all the schools I have been in. JK your getting it easy :P

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:12 pm

How am I getting it easy? I'm taking 7 A-levels, 2 of which are Maths and Further Maths, and 2 more of which are sciences :shock:

So don't you 'getting it easy' blah blah blah me :P :D
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." - Bob Marley

dinowuff
I've posted HOW many
Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:19 pm

Watch out - it's Thursday. JK has never been able to get the hang of Thursdays.
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:27 pm

I know! Thursday is usually my "hell day." But, guess what? I've got a holiday starting at 11am tomorrow, so I have NO HOMEWORK! WOOHOO! YEEHAW! W00T! :D :D :D

But I do have to go and sing with the rest of my boarding house in 45 minutes :sad: Rats.

Still... 10 holiday starting tomorrow! YAY! IT'S WHORE TIME, PEOPLE! :mrgreen:

dinowuff
I've posted HOW many
Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:37 pm

What 'cha gonna sing?

CUM-BY-YA
It's a small world after all
It's raining men
Y.M.C.A
Girls just wanna have fun

What...
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0

Vorlin
Taz's very own Fireman [RIP]

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:41 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of "I can see clearly now..." by Jimmy Cliff, hehe!
In the world of protection, one thing is for sure: security = 1 / convenience.

J_K9
THE Prancing Pirate

Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:57 pm

LOL! Dino, I hate you :mrgreen:

Vorlin... You're lucky I don't know that song :P :D

Nah.. It's "Dreaming Of You," by Coral (if that means anything to you geezers :mrgreen:)