Cars and insurance

An open forum to gripe ( we also have a hidden one )...why 2 forums to gripe...cause we love it

Cars and insurance

Postby Aspman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:31 am

I haven't written about this because I couldn't be arsed but I've 30min to spare so...

I was driving to work in April, through a small village I pass every day on my commute. It's a little bottleneck due to the two shops on the main road that have a lot of cars stopping for milk/ papers etc.

I spot an articulated lorry coming towards me so I pull into the left to let him pass. I pull over and notice that at the back of the trailer a door is swinging free. Not a huge trailer door but a smaller locker door under the bed of the trailer. It's still about 3 feet long and heading my way.

I've a few seconds so I try to bump the kerb to get out the way but I'm behind a parked car and not a lot of room to move. BANG. He gets the wing mirror and the side of the car. He doesn't stop, he's 25 feet away and wouldn't have felt a thing.

[Red mist descends]

Executing a near perfect handbrake turn in the middle of the village I chase after the driver, I exit the village like a Minuteman missile. Catching up quickly he's already been stopped by another car. I pull up exit and spend the next 5-15 minutes roaring at the driver, who keeps his distance.

Noting the car, he's smashed part of the wing mirror and put a 4" wide scuff up the driver's side of the car over both doors. Paint is gone, replaced by the red of the lorry and nicely rippled the metal.

Driver admits all blame on site and passes details. Guy who stopped has seen everything and said he'd act as a witness if necessary. Driver is shitting his pants, he could be up in court for driving with an insecure load. If I'd been on a bike I'd be dead.

Spoke to company secretary, got some details.

Got to work late. Monumental temper in evidence, this has basically stayed ever since.

Phoned company, can't be bothered to wait. Spoke to finance guy/accountant.

"Is it going to cost more then the excess?"
"Who's excess?
"Ours"
"How the bloody hell am I supposed to know what your excess is?"
"£250"
"No chance, it's about £1k worth of damage"

So into the wonderful world of Insurance Claims we go.......
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
- Denis Diderot (1713-1784)
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Re: Cars and insurance

Postby Aspman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:11 am

So I phone my insurance. No point in hiding it they all talk to each other.

No problem sir, we'll get this sorted out for you. You've got all the details and they've admitted fault up front so you won't have to pay out up front.

Makes arrangements to get car sorted. I could have gone to any repairer but life is easier if you stick with the insurer. So it's getting picked up from the house and taken away to Dunfermline to be repaired. They'll leave a car for me.

Sure enough they come, collect and the Czech rocket is taken away.

Time passes.

I phone, " is the car coming back?"
"Yes sir, manager QA'd the car, wasn't happy and asked for something to be tidied up"

Ok says I. That's good they're being careful.

Time passes

Car arrives. Yay.
Hold on. WTF is that, and that, and that.
Car comes back with both front wheel scratched worse than when they went down (one was to be repaired).
Overspray of paint all over the back of the car, they'd tried to polish it in so it wouldn't be seen but because it's metallic it makes the back of the car look like it has acne. Scratches on the roof, scratches on the C pillar. Paint all over the rubber round the windows. Scratches where the rubber had been lifted with a knife.

Phones repairer. This is not fucking acceptable! Phones insurance. Sorry sir they have to get one attempt at remedial work.

Car goes away again. Time passes.

Car comes back. They've resprayed the whole side of the car now.
WTF is that this time. Over spray removed BUT now, ripped rubber around the drivers door, rubber on rear door scraped and scratched by a knife, paint dribbles inside the doors, marks where the masking tape has been, marks on the bumper where they've dropped a cloth with paint on it, marks on the front wing where they've painted without filling stone chips, more scratches on the roof.

Phones insurance company. Not. Fucking. Happy.

Insurance we'll need to get an assessment engineer to call you. I tells them the window is no longer water tight.

Time passes.

Insurer phones, go to a garage of choice and get a quote to us.

This is where we are now. 2 months after getting hit.

BUT

Insurance is now due for renewal.
Get usual crap renewal quote.

Sorry sir we can't compete with online quotes because you have an "at fault" claim ongoing.
It wasn't my bloody fault, and I have that in writing from you.
Sorry sir while it's ongoing it's 'at fault' and we'll charge accordingly.

So the fuckers screw up sorting the car, and because it's taken so long they can charge me extra because the process isn't finished!

Shower of bastards :angry1:
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest."
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby keezel » Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Insurance companies suck.

If I were you, I'd switch to a monthly payment plan (if you're not already on one), so you can switch to someone with a "more competitive rate" after all this is sorted out. No sense paying them for crap any longer than you have to.
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier
keezel
Jedi Bastard

Postby Aspman » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 pm

I am but they charge you to cancel!

Plus I doubt any one of them is better than another.
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby DaFoxx » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Wife watched as a car reversing out of a car park space, drove into our car sat next to them :shock:
we wern't in the car, wife had gone to collect it, as my dud leg makes it awkward to walk any distance
good job, as useless driver, would have driven off
but they admitted liability
short version
OUR insurance was via Post Office :shock:
and they did a good enough job of repair and return
but soft arse's Co were brilliant, offering to cover cost totally, without it costing me anything
as there may have been issues with charges for rental car
that Co was Admiral
shite adverts, but the service offered seemed to be over and above what you would expect

just in case you DO look for a new Co Asp ?
unless of course you are already WITH them :hysterical:
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Postby Aspman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:06 am

No. currently with ESure which is an HBOS company.

Best thing about them is the Glasgow call centre so you don't need to repeat every word 50 times to a prisoner in Bangalore.

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2 ... ng_to.html
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Aspman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Got a call from the ESure engineer/assessor.

Bl**dy hell you'd think he was paying it out his own pocket.

"You have to understand sir I've a quote here for £900 for a remedial work on a job that was originally £600"

"It's just not possible sir that a coachworks would polish your car with a bit of grit in the pad, they polish cars everyday"

I stayed cam but resolute, an independent assessor will phone.

I was thinking "JUST FIX THE F*****G CAR, I'VE F*****G PAID YOU, YOUR COMPANY HAS MADE A F*****G PIGS EAR OF THE JOB AND LEFT THE F*****G CAR IN A WORSE STATE THAN IT WENT IN AND TWO MONTHS LATER IT'S STILL NOT F*****G FIXED AND YOU'RE TRYING TO STIFF ME ON THE B*****D RENEWAL.
FIX IT! FIX IT! FIX IT! F*****G FIX IT"

But I didn't say it.
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Morganlefay » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:52 pm

but you were thinking it 8)

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby Aspman » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:54 pm

I was indeed :angry1:
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Panama Red » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Stupid question maybe, but did you take copious pics.. :cool3:
Panama Red
I come Unseen

Postby Aspman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 am

I did.

It has helped a bit.
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Postby Morganlefay » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:52 pm

be relentless.....dont give up. Call everyday...talk to anyone that will listen...send email with pictures and previous correspondence
repeat until someone responds
Leave long droning repetitive voice mails ...use the contact list on their web page and contact everyone on there

They will settle just so you wont bug them anymore.
:mrgreen:

MLF
A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing.
Morganlefay
I've posted HOW many

Postby dinowuff » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:44 pm

Final response if satisfaction not achieved:

NEEDED:

Postage stamps. (Enough to ensure your package gets delivered)
Self Sealing Envelope. (Most common kind)
3X5 Index card.
News Paper. (preferably not local)
Paste or clear tape.
Rubber gloves. (Three Pair)
Baby Powder. (unscented)
Corn Starch. (Bleached)
Small Mixing bowl.
Hair Dryer.
Plastic Bag.
*Optional - Boost Mobil. (Or some other throw away cell phone)

Instructions.
Wearing rubber gloves, carefully cut the letters B-O-O-S-C-A-R-E-D-Y-A-D-I-D-N-T-I out of the news paper.
Paste or tape the letters to the index card so it reads "Boo Scared ya didn't I"
Place card to side and let glue dry completely

In a small mixing bowl mix 3oz of baby powder with 1 oz of corn starch. Mix gently until mix is even.

Take dried 3X5 card and put in bowl - shake.

Now place Index Card in envelope along with your baby powder mixture. Close, do not seal envelope, and shake. Poor baby powder mix back into bowl leaving just a little in the envelope.

Seal the envelope. Use hair dryer to Blow off any powder that may have gotten on the outside of the envelope. Add necessary postage stamps.

Place envelope in safe place.

Discard any left over materials (news paper and cuttings, powder, gloves, and clean up prep area.

Now here is the tricky part.

You need the postage address of the insurance company. You should have a bill or return mail card with that address.

Wearing a fresh pair of gloves, Cut the address off of the bill or return envelope provided by your insurance company. Ensure you have not touched that area with your bear hands.
Place address, glue, sealed envelope, and third pair of gloves in plastic bag.

Discard all prep materials.

Drive to a REALLY PUBLIC place (not a post office) that accepts outgoing mail. When at your destination and still in the car, put on rubber gloves, attach address to envelope. Put gloves and envelope back in bag. Envelope first!

Carry bag to mail slot. Using a rubber glove, DO NOT PUT GLOVE ON IN PUBLIC, Take envelope out of bag and place in mail slot.

Get in car. Drive to nearest restaurant. Dispose of bag and gloves.

Go home, watch the news over the next few days - you will know if your prank worked.

If you do get busted, try to get tried in the public media prior to going to court.
Ask for a jury trial.

Good luck!

*NOTE THIS IS A REALLY BAD IDEA - DO NOT ATTEMPT*
No lusers were harmed in the creation of this Taz Zone Post.
AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!
09:F9:11:02:9D:74:E3:5B:D8:41:56:C5:63:56:88:C0
dinowuff
I've posted HOW many

Location: galactic longitude 359° 56′ 39.4″, galactic latitude −0° 2′ 46.2″

Postby keezel » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:26 pm

I know this goes without saying, but...

Dino, I hope I never piss you off. I'm absolutely certain my body would never be found.
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier
keezel
Jedi Bastard

Postby Aspman » Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:08 pm

keezel wrote:I know this goes without saying, but...

Dino, I hope I never piss you off. I'm absolutely certain my body would never be found.

I think I've had a "disposing of the body" conversation with Dino before.

I think the freezer+woodchipper+wilderness/quicklime method worked quite well, erm WOULD work quite well

NaOH for removing DNA :good:
Aspman
Frustrated Mad Scientist

Next

Return to Rants and Raves