VISTAAAAAAAA !!!!

An open forum to gripe ( we also have a hidden one )...why 2 forums to gripe...cause we love it

VISTAAAAAAAA !!!!

Postby pyrovypr » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:37 pm

:angry1: I've ordered a Linux Ubuntu disc to run from my D drive(220gb). Vista runs from C and few things would make me happier than to replace Vista on C with Ubuntu... unfortunately for some reason my significant other, who nearly daily uses my computer... loves Windows Vista. I'm too nice sometimes -_-
With Vista- the OS doesn't even tell you the defrag details unless you enter the command prompt and force it to. Yes Vista looks niceish- and a 10 year old could use it, but it's USELESS for someone becoming more tech/hack literate. WPA2 PSK cracking is one of the easiest things to do, and yet I can't even check the security of my wireless network's passphrase without a bunch of roundabout BS with DLL files, driver updates, and 5 different cracking tools. Presently I'm on a quest to become more tech/hack literate- so i'm waiting for the Ubuntu disc so I can continue along this quest without banging my head on the wall too many times. :angry1: alas, I am the proverbial- NOOB -_- NOOBs can learn and grow to no longer be noobs.
pyrovypr
Probie

Re: VISTAAAAAAAA !!!!

Postby THE Doctor » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:18 am

pyrovypr wrote::angry1: I've ordered a Linux Ubuntu disc to run from my D drive(220gb). Vista runs from C and few things would make me happier than to replace Vista on C with Ubuntu... unfortunately for some reason my significant other, who nearly daily uses my computer... loves Windows Vista. I'm too nice sometimes -_-
With Vista- the OS doesn't even tell you the defrag details unless you enter the command prompt and force it to. Yes Vista looks niceish- and a 10 year old could use it, but it's USELESS for someone becoming more tech/hack literate. WPA2 PSK cracking is one of the easiest things to do, and yet I can't even check the security of my wireless network's passphrase without a bunch of roundabout BS with DLL files, driver updates, and 5 different cracking tools. Presently I'm on a quest to become more tech/hack literate- so i'm waiting for the Ubuntu disc so I can continue along this quest without banging my head on the wall too many times. :angry1: alas, I am the proverbial- NOOB -_- NOOBs can learn and grow to no longer be noobs.

Ahhh lol the fun of playing with MS Blister... I think I deleted most of my rants..

Well HAve you tried to run ubuntu in a VM? I typically have a dedicated machine so cant help.. not sure of any issue with VMware player and WiFi hardware..
As for the other issue of Defragging JKDefrag (Now-MYDEFRAG) is free.. and burns the a$$ off the MS defrag.. any of them...
Most of my *nix activities are on dedicated boxes.. if you on a tight budget then that will be a mute point... But...It is surprising what people are trading up from or THROWING out.. so a pair of puppy dog eyes when your helping someone setup their new PC.. I don't know your circumstances so most of the above will be BS,,, :)
.. The trouble with life is there's no background music..

Remember Grasshopper: The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.
THE Doctor
Ex Und3rtak3r from OZ

Re: VISTAAAAAAAA !!!!

Postby keezel » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:05 pm

pyrovypr wrote::angry1: I've ordered a Linux Ubuntu disc to run from my D drive(220gb). Vista runs from C and few things would make me happier than to replace Vista on C with Ubuntu... unfortunately for some reason my significant other, who nearly daily uses my computer... loves Windows Vista. I'm too nice sometimes -_-

Resolution:

Use Backtrack. It's a live distro (you don't have to install it). You boot from the disc and it's specifically designed for things such as WEP/WPA cracking.

Also note that I don't think the WPA hack can accurately be called a "crack" since it's a glorified guessing game, and success depends entirely on 1) the strength of the password and 2) the length of your dictionary file.
Only amateurs attack machines; professionals target people. Bruce Schneier
keezel
Jedi Bastard

Return to Rants and Raves