CAPTCHAs Cracked

The place for what's new and going on in the tech, innovation, and science world.

CAPTCHAs Cracked

Postby DaFoxx » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:42 am

from The Register - El Reg

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/12/0 ... s_captcha/

If you're one of those people who hates picking out cars, street signs and other objects in CAPTCHA image grids, then get used to it because the days of text-based alternatives are numbered.

CAPTCHA stands for "Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart." CAPTCHA tests are used to separate bots from people, as many internet users have seen.

They don't work flawlessly, which is why companies like Facebook are constantly purging fake accounts. And ongoing research into machine learning and image recognition techniques is making it harder still to design puzzles that vex software but not humans.

Boffins at Lancaster University in the UK, Northwest University in the US, and Peking University in China have devised an approach for creating text-based CAPTCHA solvers that makes it trivial to automatically decipher scrambled depictions of text.

which could be a reason we have so many useless accounts trying to access site, as it is no longer any issue to get through ANY text based CAPTCHA :eek:

I KNOW it is in the research part at present, just thought I'd throw a little drama into the mix :)
Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's :mrgreen:
DaFoxx
DaBOSS

Re: CAPTCHAs Cracked

Postby rapier57 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:21 pm

Yeah, I'm finding most CAPTCHAs are a pain and worthless. For crying out loud, how many times do I have to pick cars out of a grid of pics? For the same stinking site?

The text ones are impossible to read, so even humans can't get through. I don't use a CAPTCHA on my web site. I don't have accounts and I moderate comments. If someone tries to post some sketchy stuff, I bounce it. The security filters out the spam commenters and other stuff.
Rapier57.

Jayne: Testing. Testing. Captain, can you hear me?
Mal: I'm standing right here.
Jayne: You're coming through good and loud.
Mal: 'Cause I'm standing right here.

@rapier57
rapier57
I've posted HOW many

Return to Tech News Zone